Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlets -- which way?

Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

| |

| |

or

| |

| |

and why?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to
prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt
ASCII art for sideways).

-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

-- Sidney Freedman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Standard practice seems to dictate the grounding pole to be at the lower
postion.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Fearn wrote:
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

| |

| |

^That one is right side up.

or

| |

| |

^That one is upside down.

and why?

Darned if I know. There might be a written code somewhere?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to
prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt
ASCII art for sideways).

Seems to me that if you drop something metal on a plug, the plug will
probably just pull out of the socket?

-Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Fearn wrote:
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

or

and why?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons
to prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't
attempt ASCII art for sideways).

I like sideways...less cord interferance. All mine are ground down
because that is the way the electrician installed them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

The ground pin should always be down. Reason: Certain plug-in items won't
hang correctly if the outlet is upside down. Example: Extension cords with
those flat plugs on the end, or appliance extension cords - those really
thick ones. You may say "I have no intention of having an appliance in my
living room", and that would be true. But, you *will* have one of those
extension cords or something similar in the future.

Next time you're at Home Despot or Staples, take a look at the plugs on
Belkin surge suppressors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Fearn wrote:
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

There does not seem to be any rule on this. While the convention is
with the ground down looking like two eyes and a mouth, I suggest ground up
is better. In the event that something gets dropped onto a plug it would
hit the ground first. Since accidental contact is much more likely to come
from above and not below, I believe that is a safer arrangement. I also
believe it is not material in real live. I put mine in ground up and I
usually switch any that I work on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

| |

| |

or

| |

| |

and why?

I remember when I had a house built on Long Island. All the grounds were
pointed down except one outlet in every room. When I asked the builder why
he told me that this was his electricians way of pointing out the outlets
that were switched on and off by a wall switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Fearn wrote:
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

| |

| |

or

| |

| |

and why?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to
prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt
ASCII art for sideways).

-Don

I have heard people say that the ground pin should be up or to the left.
The reasoning behind this is, if a metal cover plate becomes loose and
falls off while something is plugged in and manages to get between the
recep. and the plug, it will fall on either the ground or neutral
terminal. A rare occurrance to be sure, but it makes sense to do it
that way.

I don't believe that the NEC addresses this issue at all.
nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:04:38 -0500, "jerryl"
wrote:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

I remember when I had a house built on Long Island. All the grounds were
pointed down except one outlet in every room. When I asked the builder why
he told me that this was his electricians way of pointing out the outlets
that were switched on and off by a wall switch.

Another way to use this trick is in the kitchen. Put them in one
direction for one circuit and put them facing the other for the other
circuit.

This will tell you which outlets you can use if you are using two high
wattage kitchen appliances at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember when I had a house built on Long Island. All the grounds were
pointed down except one outlet in every room. When I asked the builder why
he told me that this was his electricians way of pointing out the outlets
that were switched on and off by a wall switch.

Never heard of that; clever actually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't believe that the NEC addresses this issue at all.
nate

All commercial buildings seem to be wired with the ground pin UP. Why
is that?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

newsreader wrote:

Don Fearn wrote:
[...]

I've personally seen a metal outlet cover plate where the screw fell out
and the plate fell across the plug that was in the outlet. It ended up
balanced on the wider neutral blade and dangling about 1/64" away from
shorting to the hot blade. Had to kill power to the circuit to fix it.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:46:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

The ground pin should always be down. Reason: Certain plug-in items won't
hang correctly if the outlet is upside down. Example: Extension cords with
those flat plugs on the end, or appliance extension cords - those really
thick ones. You may say "I have no intention of having an appliance in my
living room", and that would be true. But, you *will* have one of those
extension cords or something similar in the future.

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

Next time you're at Home Despot or Staples, take a look at the plugs on
Belkin surge suppressors.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:15:21 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

What is a wall-wart?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
ps.com...

I don't believe that the NEC addresses this issue at all.
nate

All commercial buildings seem to be wired with the ground pin UP. Why
is that?

Because it makes practical sense.

Offices have had problems in the past when a paper clip would fall off of a
desk and get behind a plug and short it out. With the pin up, it will
generally fall off to the side. This is becoming accepted practice now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Standard practice seems to dictate the grounding pole to be at the lower
postion.

Searcher

Standard practice is changing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Don Fearn" wrote in message
Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

The ground pin should always be down. Reason: Certain plug-in items won't
hang correctly if the outlet is upside down. Example: Extension cords with
those flat plugs on the end, or appliance extension cords - those really
thick ones.

Not any more. . New appliances will hang better with the pin up. This is
becoming standard practice in the industry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

What is a wall-wart?

Those little power supplies that you plug into the electrical
outlets... PITA

Posted to alt.home.repair

A paper clip... !! NOW it's a paper clip sliding right down the wall and
behind a plug. While ago it was a metal tray... Wouldn't be deflected by
the edge of the cover plate would it? LMAO!!!

--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
ps.com...

I don't believe that the NEC addresses this issue at all.
nate

All commercial buildings seem to be wired with the ground pin UP. Why
is that?

Because it makes practical sense.

Offices have had problems in the past when a paper clip would fall off of
a desk and get behind a plug and short it out. With the pin up, it will
generally fall off to the side. This is becoming accepted practice now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
why would the screw fall out? This is a ridiculous scenario.

Because people often pick up their homes & offices and shake them really
hard, which loosens all sorts of hardware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:05:20 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

why would the screw fall out? This is a ridiculous scenario.

Most places that use stainless steel outlet covers often have
construction going on all the time.

Vibration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:07:39 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

Let's see...... when was the last time a METAL TRAY slid down my wall....

I understand your comments now. You think this about you.

I am guessing you are not a surgeon. They use metal trays daily.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 06:07:00 -0600, Don Fearn
wrote:

Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Definitely. The holes should face inward. *Into* the room.

Should they be

| |

| |

or

| |

| |

and why?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to
prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt
ASCII art for sideways).

-Don

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

What is a wall-wart?

Just last night on Jay Leno's "Headlines" was a headline from a local
paper, "Plans for new Wal-Wart under discussion."

Those little power supplies that you plug into the electrical
outlets... PITA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

why would the screw fall out? This is a ridiculous scenario.

Screws do come loose.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
. ..

Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Should they be

The ground pin should always be down. Reason: Certain plug-in items won't
hang correctly if the outlet is upside down. Example: Extension cords with
those flat plugs on the end, or appliance extension cords - those really
thick ones.

Not any more. . New appliances will hang better with the pin up. This is
becoming standard practice in the industry.

This is contrary to my experience, which shows me that most 3-prong
plugs tend to stay in better with the grounding pin up (the opposite of
the way most outlets are installed).

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

What is a wall-wart?

Something that looks like a cancerous growth on the wall. These are
usually power supplies for equipment.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You're likely to have multiple wall-warts.

What is a wall-wart?

Those little power supplies that you plug into the electrical
outlets... PITA

Usually. There's also remote control (X10, etc..) modules and surge
suppressors.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:06:21 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

WHAT industry? Hospitals? Not homes though.

I have several appliances with cords designed for ground-up
receptacles.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Let's see...... when was the last time a METAL TRAY slid down my wall....

When was the last time a metal tray slid up your wall....

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?

Definitely. The holes should face inward. *Into* the room.

So you'd put the ground hole right in from of the others, so it
becomes impossible to plug anything in without creating a short. Hope
your breakers aren't the kind that don't trip.

Should they be

| |

| |

or

| |

| |

and why?

The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the
ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something
metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to
prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt
ASCII art for sideways).

-Don

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

why would the screw fall out? This is a ridiculous scenario.

Most places that use stainless steel outlet covers often have
construction going on all the time.

Vibration.

If you're going to think of office buildings as if they were cars, boats &
aircraft, then the law should forbid using screws to attach wires to outlets
and switches.