Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust in Plastic/Fiberglass Tub?

I have a new tub and we are starting to notice small specks of what
looks like rust. Brillo cannot get it off nor any other cleaners we
have tried. How is it possible that we have rust in our plastic tub?
How do you remove it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HotRod wrote:
I suspect it's not from the tub, it's from your pipes and water.

"Brian" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a new tub and we are starting to notice small specks of what
looks like rust. Brillo cannot get it off nor any other cleaners we
have tried. How is it possible that we have rust in our plastic tub?
How do you remove it?

Is there a water test we can try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I have a new tub and we are starting to notice small specks of what
looks like rust. Brillo cannot get it off nor any other cleaners we
have tried. How is it possible that we have rust in our plastic tub?
How do you remove it?

And ... do NOT use Brillo on plastic. It'll scratch it something
terrible.

So all manner of things will stick, and not be readily removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I have a new tub and we are starting to notice small specks of what
looks like rust. Brillo cannot get it off nor any other cleaners we
have tried. How is it possible that we have rust in our plastic tub?
How do you remove it?

You have iron pipes and they're starting to rust. Only real fix is to
replace them with copper or CPVC, depending on whether you
can sweat them without setting the house on fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

You have iron pipes and they're starting to rust. Only real fix is to
replace them with copper or CPVC, depending on whether you
can sweat them without setting the house on fire.

If it is city water, chances are the rust is coming from the main lines and
it can be miles away. Replacing the house pipes will not make any
difference. Get a rust-sediment filter. Alternate is to replace the
lines in the town. Budget $1million a year for a good replacement program.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

You have iron pipes and they're starting to rust. Only real fix is to
replace them with copper or CPVC, depending on whether you
can sweat them without setting the house on fire.

If it is city water, chances are the rust is coming from the main lines and
it can be miles away. Replacing the house pipes will not make any
difference. Get a rust-sediment filter. Alternate is to replace the
lines in the town. Budget $1million a year for a good replacement program.

Yes, I am on city water. Does the rust-sediment filter fit on the
shower nozzle or is it in-line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brian" wrote in message

Yes, I am on city water. Does the rust-sediment filter fit on the
shower nozzle or is it in-line?

I put mine on the main line so it gets the crap out of everything. My house
is fine, but the water gets to me in 100 year old pipes, thus the rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to tell us more about your setup..

1) What type of pipes are in the house?
2) What type of water are you on?

If you want to test the water take a white plastic bucket and pout some
water in it and let it site for a few days, did it dis-colour the bucket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HotRod wrote:
You need to tell us more about your setup..

1) What type of pipes are in the house?
2) What type of water are you on?

If you want to test the water take a white plastic bucket and pout some
water in it and let it site for a few days, did it dis-colour the bucket?

I am assuming metal. I just purchased the house a month or so ago. It
is about 24 years old. I am on city water. I will try your experiment
and see what I get.