Interior house doors drift shut

Old December 4th 06, 08:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior house doors drift shut

Some of the doors inside my home won't stay open. They drift shut and
I have to prop them open with a door stop. Others won't close because
they rub the door frame and can't be pulled tightly closed.

I know this probably occurs from the house settling. I had a handyman
come in to fix them but all he did was whack and smash the door hinges
with his hammer. He smashed a hinge and bent up the pin on another. I
had to stop him. I also had to go buy replacement hinges and pins.

There must be a better way to fix this problem than to smash the heck
out of everything. I could have done that myself. I'd like to fix
both the doors that drift shut and the ones that will not close because
they hit the door frame. So how can I fix the doors in a way that is
not destructive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old December 4th 06, 11:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Pulling the hinge pin and tapping it in the middle on a cement surface
to slightly bend it is common way of stopping doors from closing.
Never heard of hammering the entire hinge. Slight removal of wood
behind the hinge plate often cures doors difficult to close.

Old December 4th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

marybeth wrote:
Some of the doors inside my home won't stay open. They drift shut and
I have to prop them open with a door stop. Others won't close because
they rub the door frame and can't be pulled tightly closed.

I know this probably occurs from the house settling. I had a handyman
come in to fix them but all he did was whack and smash the door hinges
with his hammer. He smashed a hinge and bent up the pin on another. I
had to stop him. I also had to go buy replacement hinges and pins.

There must be a better way to fix this problem than to smash the heck
out of everything. I could have done that myself. I'd like to fix
both the doors that drift shut and the ones that will not close because
they hit the door frame. So how can I fix the doors in a way that is
not destructive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I suspect your discription of his actions are greatly exaggerated.
That is the normal and quite approved method of fixing that problem.
Anything above that you are talking about a major expense as the only
real fix is to pull the doors and reset them. That calls for an
experienced carpenter or handyman and they ain't a gonna work cheap.

Harry K

Old December 4th 06, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"I suspect your discription of his actions are greatly exaggerated.
That is the normal and quite approved method of fixing that problem." -
--Harry K

Well Harry you must be a suspicious person, right? Now why would you
call me a liar and say that I greatly exaggerated? Were you here
Harry? Did you see the bent over hinge pin or the twisted hinge or how
about the mashed hinge with the brass color knocked off of it?

So smashing things is the approved method of fixing things hu?
Approved by who? Not approved by me. Guess I'll get my hammer and
come fix things at your house. Oh don't worry it's all approved! I
don't work cheap either Harry.

Old December 4th 06, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

marybeth wrote:
Did you see the bent over hinge pin or the twisted hinge or
how about the mashed hinge with the brass color knocked off of it?

My cat could knock that brass color off those cheap hinges.

We can see what was done, but what was described was totally normal
standard practice.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old December 4th 06, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Pulling the hinge pin and tapping it in the middle on a cement surface
to slightly bend it is common way of stopping doors from closing.

Yes, and I HATE that kind of hack slob's approach because it gives the
door an unatural draggy feel when you move it by hand.

The RIGHT way to keep a door from drifting closed is to install a
magnetic or a "spring loaded grabber" door stop. There are lots of
colors and styles available. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Door-.../dp/B0006LA2TC

Never heard of hammering the entire hinge. Slight removal of wood
behind the hinge plate often cures doors difficult to close.

And if that doesn't do it, take the door down and plane or sand off the
parts which are rubbing, then refinish them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old December 4th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:00 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
Pulling the hinge pin and tapping it in the middle on a cement surface
to slightly bend it is common way of stopping doors from closing.

Yes, and I HATE that kind of hack slob's approach because it gives the
door an unatural draggy feel when you move it by hand.

Slightly bending the hinge pin is not a hack job. If you feel that
much drag then the hinge pin was bent too much, and that's just as easy
to fix - pop the pin out and straighten it a little bit and put it back
in.

If you must attribute hackster status, the correct recipient would be
the person that installed the door in the first place, or God for
letting the damn house settle.

The RIGHT way to keep a door from drifting closed is to install a
magnetic or a "spring loaded grabber" door stop. There are lots of
colors and styles available. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Door-.../dp/B0006LA2TC

So instead of a virtually unnoticeable amount of drag spread out over
the entire swing of the door, you prefer all the drag to be at the
start of the swing? Your way also limits you to two positions, fully
opened or fully closed, and I find that life rarely works out to be
binary/digital. Particularly if you're married or have children. And
you have to buy and install additional hardware - possiblly in a
location that isn't convenient (door has a cabinet behind it and can
only open 90 degrees instead of folding all the way back against the
wall, etc.).

Never heard of hammering the entire hinge. Slight removal of wood
behind the hinge plate often cures doors difficult to close.

And if that doesn't do it, take the door down and plane or sand off the
parts which are rubbing, then refinish them.

Which is probably unavoidable with doors binding in the frames.

To the OP - from your description the guy does sound meat-fisted and
bending the entire hinge is a hack in anybody's book. A hack can use
the right technique and still screw up a simple job. Keep looking for
another guy.

Old December 4th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
snipped

So instead of a virtually unnoticeable amount of drag spread out over
the entire swing of the door, you prefer all the drag to be at the
start of the swing? Your way also limits you to two positions, fully
opened or fully closed, and I find that life rarely works out to be
binary/digital. Particularly if you're married or have children. And
you have to buy and install additional hardware - possiblly in a
location that isn't convenient (door has a cabinet behind it and can
only open 90 degrees instead of folding all the way back against the
wall, etc.).

In those situations your points are entirely valid. I'm guilty of
thinking mainly about doors which open 90 degrees and when open rest
"against" a wall, where a door stop can also be handy to keep the
doorknob from marring the wall.

Peace,

Jeff

--