Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1-switch + 1-timer in one box?

Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a
timer?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone
bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:
* fan, exhaust
* heater
* light
* night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:
1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall
timer
2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I looked all over a few months ago trying to solve exactly this same
problem. I was unable to find a single box solution which allowed both a
timer and a switch to fit in a single box. Perhaps somebody has a solution,
in which case I would also love to know about it. Intermatic and the other
major timer manufacturers including Nutone did not appear to have a
solution.

Smarty

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a
timer?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone
bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:
* fan, exhaust
* heater
* light
* night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:
1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall
timer
2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Dec 2006 11:52:19 -0800, "
wrote:

Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a
timer?

Do you mean to control TWO things, or a switch and timer for the same
thing?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone
bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:
* fan, exhaust
* heater
* light
* night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:
1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall
timer
2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On 3 Dec 2006 11:52:19 -0800, "
wrote:

Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a
timer?

Do you mean to control TWO things, or a switch and timer for the same
thing?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone
bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:
* fan, exhaust
* heater
* light
* night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:
1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall
timer
2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.

..
It sounds like a mechanical 'capacity' situation. Wiring the night
light permanently could free up one switch of two double switches in
the double gang box (small night lights and/or LED 'bulbs' use very
little electricity so leave them on all the time?) But that still asks
how could some type of timer be accommodated along with the three
remaining switches in a double gang box?
Could the heater be wired straight through and switched on some other
way? I recall, many, many years ago a 'pull switch' mounted in a
bathroom ceiling, well out off reach, that was operated by pulling on a
non conductive string.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:

There's always room for more boxes. Tip the whole
thing on it's side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.passandseymour.com/whatsnew/FanLight.html
and other useful devices, for example
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/A1...=&id=4575439d2
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/A17.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a
timer?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone
bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:
* fan, exhaust
* heater
* light
* night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish
this:
1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall
timer
2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.

I may not have understood your post correctly, but if there are four
switches in a double gang box then they each must be double switches, so
I don't understand how hot wiring the night-light frees up half of the
double gang box, isn't the third of the four switches still needed there?

What am I missing?

Jeff

correct, two double switches (all 4 to the same nutone ceiling unit)

hot-wiring the night-light means I can dedicate one box to a standard
timer.

I already have the 4 switches, plus two more below for shower and
vanity light. I don't want a space ~6 inches wide to be a wall of
switches, so I will _not_ put in another box.

anyone use one of those new led bulbs in a fan unit? bloody night
light bulds don't hold up to fans.

I wasn't aware these even existed until I Googled "Triple wall switch",
but they sure look like they could solve your problem, don't they?

And from a trusted manufacturer too:

http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/39_766_765

Now, let's not hear you bitch about the price. G

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Timer Switch? Buster Chops Home Repair 8 October 23rd 06 10:12 PM
What is this switch/timer? Paul C UK diy 5 August 15th 06 05:04 PM
Timer for Light Switch?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 17th 06 06:05 AM
Timer Switch [email protected] Electronics 14 July 31st 05 08:45 PM
Timer switch for double switch wall plate [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 19th 05 09:42 PM