Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck material?

What do you all think I should use? What is best? Real wood (what
type?) or one of the new fake woods? ...and of course why?? Thanks for
any advice. If it matters, I am in the Northeast..Long island.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

jtees4 wrote:
What do you all think I should use? What is best? Real wood (what
type?) or one of the new fake woods? ...and of course why?? Thanks for
any advice. If it matters, I am in the Northeast..Long island.

Considerations: maintenance vs. natural appearance= your choice.
I've heard very good things about the better synthetic materials, but
they don't look quite the same. I'd gather in L.I. with salt air and
sun, maintenance can a challenge. I've seen some on beach houses out
there with that weathered look. Some people like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtees4" wrote in message
news
What do you all think I should use? What is best? Real wood (what
type?) or one of the new fake woods? ...and of course why?? Thanks for
any advice. If it matters, I am in the Northeast..Long island.

There are many good choices.

Ipe
Mahogany
Cypress
Cedar
Redwood (usually expensive in the east)
Pressure treated
Artificial woods.

The artificial are supposed to require the least amount of maintenance.
I've seen little of it so can't comment on that.

The best appearance, (and highest cost) are Ipe and Mahogany. Give them a
coat of Penofin oil every couple of years and they will look great.
Penofin also has UV protection to maintain the natural color.
We have a good lumberyard where I live and they have a 4' x 4' section of
decking made from each material so you can see what it will look like and
how well it weathers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jtees4 writes:

What do you all think I should use? What is best? Real wood (what
type?) or one of the new fake woods? ...and of course why?? Thanks for
any advice. If it matters, I am in the Northeast..Long island.

Unless you are a sucker for "authentic", you can't beat the composites
(fake woods). They last forever, no splinters, uniform appearance.

I have some and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

After you've had it for a year, get yourself one of those electric
pressure washers. Each spring I pressure wash mine and it looks as
good as it did the day it was installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the replies. I have never looked at the fake stuff
myself...but I have seen it on a few decks. Years ago it looked real
bad, maybe there is better stuff today. I will look. Never heard of
Ipe...but you learn something new every day!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't get decks. I like patios, and esp since your neighborhood is
pricey, would a patio (pavers, not a poured slab) be a better
investment ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't get decks. I like patios, and esp since your neighborhood is
pricey, would a patio (pavers, not a poured slab) be a better
investment ?

What don't you get? My deck is 8" above the ground and the kitchen opens to
it. Patios do not work well 8" above the ground.

OTOH, I do have a patio below the deck, and it gets shade from it. Best of
both worlds.