framing a 45 degree pantry wall... suggestions... ?

Old December 2nd 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default framing a 45 degree pantry wall... suggestions... ?

Hi, all.

I'm adding a pantry to an existing kitchen, so I'm framing some
non-structural partition walls, and then drywalling them. Essentially,
I'll end up with a neo-angle pantry, and I'd like the door in the
angled wall.

When I got around to framing it in, I ran into a problem. I'm using
2x4s for the walls, but when I go to install the angled wall, the
angled cuts in my 2x4 plate end up being wider than the other two
walls.

To hang drywall, do I just build up those two walls (the difference is
about 1 1/4") with plywood, or is there a simple solution that I'm
missing?

Funny, I've never encountered this before. I've attached about the
worst drawing ever produced in a newsgroup.

(inside pantry) I
/
/
/
/ (door will go here, but this angled wall
is thicker where it meets the other wall)
/
__________ /

Thanks.

Old December 2nd 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you should of course do whatever is easiest and looks reasonably
good and won't cause trouble down the road with other things.

But really, the walls should all just be standard thickness. Instead of
ending one 2x4 plate with and angle and butting it up against another
2x4 plate with a square cut, you are supposed to cut *both* plates,
like this (which might rival your drawing for lameness):

_____
/\
___/ \
\ \
\ \

Or like this,
_____
\
______\
\ \
\ \

Old December 2nd 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

maurice wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm adding a pantry to an existing kitchen, so I'm framing some
non-structural partition walls, and then drywalling them. Essentially,
I'll end up with a neo-angle pantry, and I'd like the door in the
angled wall.

When I got around to framing it in, I ran into a problem. I'm using
2x4s for the walls, but when I go to install the angled wall, the
angled cuts in my 2x4 plate end up being wider than the other two
walls.

(snip)

You won't have any problem if you miter each plate (22.5 deg) where they
intersect. (assuming you have a 45 deg intersection). Easiest way to see
this is to draw some lines on the floor.

To anticipate your next post, yes you rip a 2x4 to make a solid outside
corner.
Old December 2nd 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Of course these suggestions make perfect sense, ignoring the reality
that I built and installed both walls before starting on the angled
wall. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a "measure once, cut twice" kind of
person. Funny, but before I started the job, I had intended to cut the
angles in, but completely neglected to think when I actually started
work.

Am I asking for trouble if, at this point, I simply drywall the two
original walls first, then drywall the inside of the angled wall? I'm
thinking that will only leave about 1 inch of unsupported drywall. I'm
relatively picky (I know, tough to believe at this point), but I would
think that this tape joint should still hold and look okay, plus it's
on the inside of the pantry. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old December 2nd 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

maurice wrote:
(snip)

Am I asking for trouble if, at this point, I simply drywall the two
original walls first, then drywall the inside of the angled wall? I'm
thinking that will only leave about 1 inch of unsupported drywall.

It won't be a problem for the inside corner. You will, however, want to
make sure you have solid backing behind the drywall on the outside corner.
Old December 2nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I agree, I'll rip a 2x4 to match the angle to support the drywall.

Thanks for the advice. Just one of those days, I guess.

Maurice

Old December 2nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair