Need wiring diagram for electric drill

Old December 1st 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need wiring diagram for electric drill

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

Years (decades, actually) ago I replaced the speed control which I got
from Sears. The drill has worked since, but not correctly, so evidently
I screwed up when I put it back together. I think I had to resolder some
wires to the reversing switch, which is where I think the problem is.

Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape.
Field and armature coils are all good (tested with ohmmeter).

So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do.

Please resist the urge to post if you want to tell me

* to buy a new tool (this is my favorite drill)
* I ought to learn a whole lot more about electricity
* I should leave this kind of repair to "professionals"
* I should have noted the wiring when I first opened it up.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Old December 2nd 06, 08:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www3.sears.com

Thanks, but sorry, already looked there. Oddly, they list all parts for
this model drill, but everything is unavailable, including two
instruction sheets, which may or may not have a wiring diagram. (There's
an exploded parts diagram, but it doesn't have a schematic.)

Further info: the drill is wired so that the field and armature are in
series. (The reversing switch flips the polarity of the armature with
respect to the field.) Is this typically the way these drills work?

Old December 2nd 06, 08:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Just buy another drill. They're cheap.

If you insist on doing this repair, you really should learn more about
electricity before you tackle the job. You could be electrocuted.
Spend the winter going to a technical college. Since you obviously
lack that knowledge, dont touch it until you get an education on
electricity.
Otherwise, take it to a professional repair shop, but be prepared to
pay more than the worth of the drill. But you reap what you sow. If
you had left the pros do the job in the first place, or at least
labelled the wires, you would not have this problem now. I hope you
learned from this mistake.

If by chance you figured out how to procreate, you could always send
the drill to your sons Junior High School for their electricity
classes. They'll take it apart, learn from it, and then repair it for
you. (for free).

Tom

---------

Old December 2nd 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Just buy another drill. They're cheap.

Why buy another? It's a Craftsman. Take it back to Sears and they'll replace
it.

Old December 2nd 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I need a wiring diagram for ...variable-speed...reversible drill. ...
...I replaced the speed control ...has worked since, but not correctly
Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape. ...

If it runs and variable speed is functional, it isn't a simple wiring
problem. The spitzen-sparken and erratic running at low speed is
indicative of the brushes not fitting correctly. I'd hazard a guess
the combination of "cleaning" the commutator and perhaps turning the
brushes around or otherwise getting them mis-aligned is the primary
problem...

Old December 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Then you'd guess wrong.

Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. At medium speed it runs with the normal amount of sparking
expected from such a motor. The brushes are clean and fit the commutator
well. It only sparks at high speed.

At this point, my question is a simple one. I direct this to ANYONE WHO
ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER AND CAN GIVE IT MINUS A LECTURE ON LEARNING
BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Old December 2nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?