DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need wiring diagram for electric drill (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184509-need-wiring-diagram-electric-drill.html)

David Nebenzahl December 1st 06 11:04 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

Years (decades, actually) ago I replaced the speed control which I got
from Sears. The drill has worked since, but not correctly, so evidently
I screwed up when I put it back together. I think I had to resolder some
wires to the reversing switch, which is where I think the problem is.

Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape.
Field and armature coils are all good (tested with ohmmeter).

So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do.

Please resist the urge to post if you want to tell me

* to buy a new tool (this is my favorite drill)
* I ought to learn a whole lot more about electricity
* I should leave this kind of repair to "professionals"
* I should have noted the wiring when I first opened it up.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

David Nebenzahl December 2nd 06 08:02 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

buffalobill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www3.sears.com

Thanks, but sorry, already looked there. Oddly, they list all parts for
this model drill, but everything is unavailable, including two
instruction sheets, which may or may not have a wiring diagram. (There's
an exploded parts diagram, but it doesn't have a schematic.)

Further info: the drill is wired so that the field and armature are in
series. (The reversing switch flips the polarity of the armature with
respect to the field.) Is this typically the way these drills work?

[email protected] December 2nd 06 08:18 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

Just buy another drill. They're cheap.

If you insist on doing this repair, you really should learn more about
electricity before you tackle the job. You could be electrocuted.
Spend the winter going to a technical college. Since you obviously
lack that knowledge, dont touch it until you get an education on
electricity.
Otherwise, take it to a professional repair shop, but be prepared to
pay more than the worth of the drill. But you reap what you sow. If
you had left the pros do the job in the first place, or at least
labelled the wires, you would not have this problem now. I hope you
learned from this mistake.

If by chance you figured out how to procreate, you could always send
the drill to your sons Junior High School for their electricity
classes. They'll take it apart, learn from it, and then repair it for
you. (for free).

Tom

---------

HeyBub December 2nd 06 03:10 PM

wrote:
Just buy another drill. They're cheap.

Why buy another? It's a Craftsman. Take it back to Sears and they'll replace
it.

dpb December 2nd 06 03:33 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I need a wiring diagram for ...variable-speed...reversible drill. ...
...I replaced the speed control ...has worked since, but not correctly
Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape. ...

If it runs and variable speed is functional, it isn't a simple wiring
problem. The spitzen-sparken and erratic running at low speed is
indicative of the brushes not fitting correctly. I'd hazard a guess
the combination of "cleaning" the commutator and perhaps turning the
brushes around or otherwise getting them mis-aligned is the primary
problem...

krw December 2nd 06 04:14 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

In article ,
says...
wrote:
Just buy another drill. They're cheap.

Why buy another? It's a Craftsman. Take it back to Sears and they'll replace
it.

The Craftsman "lifetime warranty" is only on hand tools. Read the
information that comes with the power tools and you'll find the
warranty more like a year.

Buy another, but not from Sears.

--
Keith

David Nebenzahl December 2nd 06 08:08 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Then you'd guess wrong.

Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. At medium speed it runs with the normal amount of sparking
expected from such a motor. The brushes are clean and fit the commutator
well. It only sparks at high speed.

At this point, my question is a simple one. I direct this to ANYONE WHO
ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER AND CAN GIVE IT MINUS A LECTURE ON LEARNING
BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

David Nebenzahl December 2nd 06 08:11 PM

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

propman December 3rd 06 12:27 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4571ce59$0$5806
:

buffalobill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second statement........
:-)

David Nebenzahl December 3rd 06 04:19 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

propman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

You meant to type "to wit", no?

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second statement........
:-)

Have you checked either of the sites he sent links to? Neither has
wiring diagrams for *anything*. I checked. Nada. Zip.

Lots of exploded parts diagrams, though.

buffalobill December 3rd 06 11:39 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

other drill users may find this text informative:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_ap...ml#APPFAQC_008
and other repair faq save this link:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

dpb December 3rd 06 04:09 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote:
dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

...At slow speeds, it feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. ...

If it runs and variable speed is functional, it isn't a simple wiring
problem. The spitzen-sparken and erratic running at low speed is
indicative of the brushes not fitting correctly. I'd hazard a guess
the combination of "cleaning" the commutator and perhaps turning the
brushes around or otherwise getting them mis-aligned is the primary
problem...

Then you'd guess wrong.

Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. ...

It also runs (as the _retained_ quote _from_ your original post shows)
poorly. A very good description, in fact of what poorly fitting
brushes or damaged/rough commutator edges act like.

Was simply trying to point out an area that seems more likely than
miswiring, but if you know better then fix it as you see fit.

BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

David Nebenzahl December 3rd 06 09:42 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

dpb spake thus:

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

I know how motors like this work *in general*, but obviously I don't
know this specific detail--whether the field & armature should be
connected in series or parallel. That's why I asked the question. If you
know the answer, it would be appreciated.

Rick December 3rd 06 09:52 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

dpb spake thus:

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

I know how motors like this work *in general*, but obviously I don't
know this specific detail--whether the field & armature should be
connected in series or parallel. That's why I asked the question. If you
know the answer, it would be appreciated.

Google "universal motors"...

propman December 4th 06 05:48 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:457240a3$0$5782
:

propman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here

goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

You meant to type "to wit", no?

Nope.........asshole!

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second

statement........
:-)

Have you checked either of the sites he sent links to? Neither has
wiring diagrams for *anything*. I checked. Nada. Zip.

Wrong again, asshole.......it clearly shows wiring DIAGRAMS.......if you
want the SCHEMATIC then you should have asked for the SCHEMATIC!

Lots of exploded parts diagrams, though.

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

David Nebenzahl December 4th 06 07:02 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

propman spake thus:

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

What's the problem--got a low threshold? off your meds?

Camperken December 4th 06 07:06 AM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:08:08 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:
Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. At medium speed it runs with the normal amount of sparking
expected from such a motor. The brushes are clean and fit the commutator
well. It only sparks at high speed.

At this point, my question is a simple one. I direct this to ANYONE WHO
ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER AND CAN GIVE IT MINUS A LECTURE ON LEARNING
BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

MOST power tool motors are wired in series. Heavy sparking at high
speed is indicative of bad brushes or loose comutator bars, One
loose commutator bar will not have to move much at the speed these
armatures rotate to cause arcing.

John Normile

propman December 4th 06 04:24 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4573b83b$0$5803
:

propman spake thus:

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

What's the problem--got a low threshold? off your meds?

See above.......and apply.

ED June 8th 19 11:44 PM

Need wiring diagram for electric drill

replying to tom________, ED wrote:
Tom I am reading this 13 years after you wrote it and you are probably still
an asshole.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-171417-.htm