Posted to alt.home.repair

Default humming CFL

I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

The noise you are hearing is the high frequency ac it generates.

You don't have to do leds that way, its easy to have a constant
current linear supply. How easy it is to find something in the
specs on ebay or amazon tho is harder to say but they do exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 04:03:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

The noise you are hearing is the high frequency ac it generates.

What everyone hears here is you bull****ting away like there was no
tomorrow, you trolling 85-year-old senile pest!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jun 2019 04:03:38 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

The noise you are hearing is the high frequency ac it generates.

You don't have to do leds that way, its easy to have a constant
current linear supply. How easy it is to find something in the
specs on ebay or amazon tho is harder to say but they do exist.

You've gotten too technical for me. Maybe people in the group I added
can tell me where to buy what you're suggesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jun 2019 04:03:38 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Quite a few sold everywhere are like that.

I use Philips Hues which likely are fine but that
system is very expensive for just the one led light.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 09:18:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I use Philips Hues

I told you already several times, you can shove your Philips Hues up yours,
senile Ozzie pest!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2019 6:18 AM, micky wrote:
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

You could add a better directional antenna to the radio.

I've not had any similar problem myself, so maybe you just tried the
wrong bulb, Or, maybe you just need an AC filter between the lamp and
the AC line that is probably shared with the radio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

Probably expensive but if the lievertising is to be believed, these might fix your problem.

https://www.geniecompany.com/garage-...ight-bulb.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jun 2019 06:15:07 -0400, Biff Tannen
wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

Probably expensive but if the lievertising is to be believed, these might fix your problem.

https://www.geniecompany.com/garage-...ight-bulb.aspx

It's $19/2 of them, at Home Depot and Amazon, and Amazon has one for
almost $10. Thanks. Expensive but a good idea.

Bob, there's one other bulb in the package. I'll try that

As I said, with the CFL the interference could be lessened by turing the
radio off frequency a little**, but with the first LED bulb, I turned
the tuning knob a half turn in each direction, from maybe 88 to 92 MHz
FM. and the hum was the same everywhere, twice as loud as the sound had
been. It's interesting that it interfered with FM reception, which is
less vulnerable than AM, but it appeears, not invulnerable.

**An advantage to analog tuning over digital tuning.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

That's because it was a relatively weak harmonic of the chopping frequency.

but with the first LED bulb, I turned the tuning knob a half turn in each
direction, from maybe 88 to 92 MHz FM. and the hum was the same
everywhere, twice as loud as the sound had been.

That's because the designer was stupid enough to
use a chopping frequency that's right in that band.

It's interesting that it interfered with FM reception, which is
less vulnerable than AM, but it appeears, not invulnerable.

Yeah, particularly with that powerful a signal.

**An advantage to analog tuning over digital tuning.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 05:43:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No ****, eh, senile wisenheimer? tsk

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2019 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

Teach it the words to the song.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-06-03 5:55 p.m., Meanie wrote:
On 6/2/2019 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
Â* Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

Teach it the words to the song.

tell her not now dear we're in public
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Another model or brand is more likely to make the needed difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 6/3/19 1:18 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

As I said, with the CFL the interference could be lessened by turing the
radio off frequency a little**, but with the first LED bulb, I turned
the tuning knob a half turn in each direction, from maybe 88 to 92 MHz
FM. and the hum was the same everywhere, twice as loud as the sound had
been. It's interesting that it interfered with FM reception, which is
less vulnerable than AM, but it appeears, not invulnerable.

**An advantage to analog tuning over digital tuning.

In the eighties I had an old TV (non cable ready). I found that by
setting it to channel 7 and misadjusting the fine tuning, I could get
channel 22 (cable midband, frequency just below that of ch. 7).

BTW, you could get ch. 6 sound on an FM radio.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I refuse to be labeled immoral merely because I am godless." [Peter
Walker on alt.atheism]

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In Mark Lloyd writes:

In the eighties I had an old TV (non cable ready). I found that by
setting it to channel 7 and misadjusting the fine tuning, I could get
channel 22 (cable midband, frequency just below that of ch. 7).

BTW, you could get ch. 6 sound on an FM radio.

You still can (well, the analog channel 6). This is
used, even today, by a bunch of "radio stations" (in
quotes 'cuz, see below..) who are technically licensed
as low power analog tv channel 6 (which is still allowed)
but in reality are using that slot to give them
a decent range audio/radio signal at 87.7 FM.

Note that while the official FM (in the US) band
starts a bit higher, most - especially those with
tuning dials - will let you hear this one, too.

Info on a typical station:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNYZ-LP

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:08:26 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 6/3/19 1:18 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

As I said, with the CFL the interference could be lessened by turing the
radio off frequency a little**, but with the first LED bulb, I turned
the tuning knob a half turn in each direction, from maybe 88 to 92 MHz
FM. and the hum was the same everywhere, twice as loud as the sound had
been. It's interesting that it interfered with FM reception, which is
less vulnerable than AM, but it appeears, not invulnerable.

**An advantage to analog tuning over digital tuning.

In the eighties I had an old TV (non cable ready). I found that by
setting it to channel 7 and misadjusting the fine tuning, I could get
channel 22 (cable midband, frequency just below that of ch. 7).

BTW, you could get ch. 6 sound on an FM radio.

Wow.

Unrelated but you remind me, Our first TV was a Dumont, with magic eye
tuning. It had continuous tuning like a radio (both gross? and fine
tuning) and the channels 2 to 13 were marked in their approximate
location on the dial, 2 where 1 o'clock would be, and 13 where 11
o'clock would be. I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 were grouped together, then a
space and 6 and 7, then 8 to 13 in a group. Between 7 and 8 were the FM
radio stations, and a swich on the TV would turn off the picture so you
could listen to the radio without running the TV. Unfortunately there
were no FM stations in New Castle, Pa. or even Pittsburgh in 1953 or
1960, none in Indianapolis from 1960 to 64, none in Chicago afaik from
64 to 70, but by the time I got to NYC in '71, they had FM radio.
Unfortunately I didn't still have that television.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

You're right. I put the noisy LED bulb in the ceiling fixture and now
it's about 5 feet from the radio and doesn't interfere at all.

It's called "daylight" and at 100 eq. watts it gave a very strange
appearance to the room. I'll probably get used to it. They didn't
have anohter low-cost LED at HDepot and ... I'll probably get used to
it. After all, it's "daylight".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Had a batch of cheap LED bulbs at the office - close to a remote
control ceiling fan. With the lights on the remote didn't work. Would
not have been a problem but the fan power was switched with the lights
- - - - - - - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I never got used to "cool white" flourescents. The "delux cool white"
was better. I've switched virtually everything to LED now and I use
ONLY daylight. Took a bit of getting used to, but the light is SO much
more natural - and SEEMS a lot brighter for the same lumen output
because the human eye senses bkue light much better than yellow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 11:14:35 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
Had a batch of cheap LED bulbs at the office - close to a remote
control ceiling fan. With the lights on the remote didn't work. Would
not have been a problem but the fan power was switched with the lights

- - - - - - - - - -

CFLs will do that too. A lot of TV remotes stopped working when CFLs came out. The spectrum of the lamp affects the IR sensor that the remote shoots at.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 9:47 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

It's called "daylight" and at 100 eq. watts it gave a very strange
appearance to the room. I'll probably get used to it. They didn't
have anohter low-cost LED at HDepot and ... I'll probably get used to
it. After all, it's "daylight".

I find the old "dirty yellow" bulbs looking worse and worse now that
real white is available.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Now just behold these miserable, blind, and senseless people." [Martin
Luther,"On the Jews and Their Lies",1543]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/19 10:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

I never got used to "cool white" flourescents. The "delux cool white"
was better. I've switched virtually everything to LED now and I use
ONLY daylight. Took a bit of getting used to, but the light is SO much
more natural - and SEEMS a lot brighter for the same lumen output
because the human eye senses bkue light much better than yellow

Yes. Blue and yellow together make white.

BTW, I first saw that with some "color changing" Christmas lights. These
used blue and yellow LEDs connected in opposite polarity, so the color
could be controlled by controlling polarity. If both LEDs are lit
(actually alternating fast), you get white. In the same way red and
green make yellow.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Now just behold these miserable, blind, and senseless people." [Martin
Luther,"On the Jews and Their Lies",1543]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 04:47:22 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 11:14:35 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
Had a batch of cheap LED bulbs at the office - close to a remote
control ceiling fan. With the lights on the remote didn't work. Would
not have been a problem but the fan power was switched with the lights

- - - - - - - - - -

CFLs will do that too. A lot of TV remotes stopped working when CFLs came out. The spectrum of the lamp affects the IR sensor that the remote shoots at.

With the TV remotes it was the "light" spectrum. With the fan is was
"RF"
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 6/5/19 9:47 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

It's called "daylight" and at 100 eq. watts it gave a very strange
appearance to the room. I'll probably get used to it. They didn't
have anohter low-cost LED at HDepot and ... I'll probably get used to
it. After all, it's "daylight".

I find the old "dirty yellow" bulbs looking worse and worse now that real
white is available.

I did have that reaction initially when I installed the Philips Hue lights
right thru my house. Got the dirty yellow starter kit and hated how
yellow it was, even tho I mostly used PAR38 floods and spots inside
the house before that. So I got the fully color controlled bulbs for
the ones after the initial starter kit of 3 bulbs and used the yellow
ones in the bedroom, the room where I store all the beer I brew etc.

Dont really notice the dirty yellow in the bedroom anymore even
tho it gets used every day. And I now how quite a few of what
Philips call white ambience which can be set to any white you like
but not any color you like like the most expensive bulbs can be.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

I put up with the "not quite" white that yellows with age
CFLs and the not instant on simply because they made my
electric bill go way down
Now that LEDs are cheap, I buy them at Wal-Mart. Instant
on and something close to white again.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 05:15:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I did have that reaction initially when I installed the Philips Hue

I told you already, and I will tell you again: you can shove your Philips
Hue up yours, senile Rodent!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 6/6/19 5:42 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
Now that LEDs are cheap, I buy them at Wal-Mart. Instant
on and something close to white again.

Do you notice that some come on instantly and some seem to have about a
2 second delay. The ones I have with the delay do come on full
brightness as far as I can tell at the end of those 2 seconds.

I had one strange CFL that actually changed color. It would come on
dirty yellow, and a few seconds later turned white.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Life after death" is an obvious contradiction, unless you're really
into "dynamic redefinition". The "life" that exists afterward COULDN'T
be the same one that just ended irreversibly by "death".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/2/19 9:18 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Yes, it does seem very bright. It lights up the whole kitchen and when
I had an incandescent bulb 100W, I changed to 150.

Of course maybe it just seems to light up the whole kitchen because I
had no ceiling light for a month and was away for the 3 months before
that. We shall see.

They have a small exhibit at HDepot where you put your hand or something
in the little box, one of three boxes for each kind of light. And some
make-up mirrors claim to use 3 kinds of light.

I'll have to pay more attention.

Humming water main SmileyFace UK diy 35 January 14th 05 07:50 PM
marantz sr-50 humming chris C Electronics Repair 7 January 10th 05 12:28 PM
Subwoofer humming Michael Rabeno Electronics Repair 5 October 16th 04 04:49 PM
JBL PSW-D112 loud humming noise Eugen T Electronics Repair 1 January 18th 04 02:11 PM
Humming sound Seeqer Electronics Repair 4 January 14th 04 04:10 AM