Need wiring diagram for electric drill

Old December 2nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need wiring diagram for electric drill

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4571ce59$0$5806
:

buffalobill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second statement........
:-)

Old December 3rd 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

propman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

You meant to type "to wit", no?

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second statement........
:-)

Have you checked either of the sites he sent links to? Neither has
wiring diagrams for *anything*. I checked. Nada. Zip.

Lots of exploded parts diagrams, though.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old December 3rd 06, 10:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

other drill users may find this text informative:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_ap...ml#APPFAQC_008
and other repair faq save this link:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

David Nebenzahl wrote:
This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

Years (decades, actually) ago I replaced the speed control which I got
from Sears. The drill has worked since, but not correctly, so evidently
I screwed up when I put it back together. I think I had to resolder some
wires to the reversing switch, which is where I think the problem is.

Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape.
Field and armature coils are all good (tested with ohmmeter).

So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do.

Please resist the urge to post if you want to tell me

* to buy a new tool (this is my favorite drill)
* I ought to learn a whole lot more about electricity
* I should leave this kind of repair to "professionals"
* I should have noted the wiring when I first opened it up.

Old December 3rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

David Nebenzahl wrote:
dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

...At slow speeds, it feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. ...

If it runs and variable speed is functional, it isn't a simple wiring
problem. The spitzen-sparken and erratic running at low speed is
indicative of the brushes not fitting correctly. I'd hazard a guess
the combination of "cleaning" the commutator and perhaps turning the
brushes around or otherwise getting them mis-aligned is the primary
problem...

Then you'd guess wrong.

Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. ...

It also runs (as the _retained_ quote _from_ your original post shows)
poorly. A very good description, in fact of what poorly fitting
brushes or damaged/rough commutator edges act like.

Was simply trying to point out an area that seems more likely than
miswiring, but if you know better then fix it as you see fit.

BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

dpb spake thus:

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

I know how motors like this work *in general*, but obviously I don't
know this specific detail--whether the field & armature should be
connected in series or parallel. That's why I asked the question. If you
know the answer, it would be appreciated.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

dpb spake thus:

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

Then you obviously must know how motors work and have the answer to
your question available by applying same.

I know how motors like this work *in general*, but obviously I don't
know this specific detail--whether the field & armature should be
connected in series or parallel. That's why I asked the question. If you
know the answer, it would be appreciated.

Google "universal motors"...

Old December 4th 06, 04:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:457240a3$0$5782
:

propman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here

goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/toolparts.html

Your earlier link (Sears itself) was better. This place doesn't carry
parts for Sears/Craftsman. Pretty sure only Sears itself does that.
Didn't you check the list before you posted this?

And maybe you should check what you originally wrote in your initial
request...to whit:

You meant to type "to wit", no?

Nope.........asshole!

quote on

"So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do."

quote off

Seems to me that his site referal fufills the second

statement........
:-)

Have you checked either of the sites he sent links to? Neither has
wiring diagrams for *anything*. I checked. Nada. Zip.

Wrong again, asshole.......it clearly shows wiring DIAGRAMS.......if you
want the SCHEMATIC then you should have asked for the SCHEMATIC!

Lots of exploded parts diagrams, though.

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

Old December 4th 06, 06:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

propman spake thus:

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

What's the problem--got a low threshold? off your meds?

Old December 4th 06, 06:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:08:08 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:
Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. At medium speed it runs with the normal amount of sparking
expected from such a motor. The brushes are clean and fit the commutator
well. It only sparks at high speed.

At this point, my question is a simple one. I direct this to ANYONE WHO
ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER AND CAN GIVE IT MINUS A LECTURE ON LEARNING
BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

MOST power tool motors are wired in series. Heavy sparking at high
speed is indicative of bad brushes or loose comutator bars, One
loose commutator bar will not have to move much at the speed these
armatures rotate to cause arcing.

John Normile
Old December 4th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4573b83b$0$5803
:

propman spake thus:

Take your ****ing attitude and shove it where the sun don't
shine.........

What's the problem--got a low threshold? off your meds?

See above.......and apply.