Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do you call this door part and where to order this online?

Dear all:

Just a quick question wish you could help. We are living in a very old
house (1930's) which has a old wooden door that has a 5" x 8" (outside
rim: 7" x 12") viewing windows (or maybe I should say "door")... This
viewing "window" is quite old and is not sealed very well, so when we
turn on the heater, the warm air will escape from this viewing window -
not really energy-smart. As I just had a good luck ordering a
hard-to-find window part from a online store, I wonder if there is also
an online store that sell this kind of part, and if so, where could I
find it? And what is the official name of this type of part?? Many
thanks!

Here you could see some photos of this "door" that I'm talking about...

http://www.picturetrail.com/hgtv2006/
(click on What is THIS?)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

T. T. wrote:
[...]

It appears you have never seen any late-night movies set in the
Prohibition era showing the entrance to a "speak-easy".

similar items at:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02916435/
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/14289.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Reed, thank you so much for your reply. Yes few hours later after
I posted this question to this group, I found some items on eBay which
then realized they are called "
vintage peep hole viewer speakeasy"

By the way, another side question, is there any way to weather
stripping this kind of viewer?? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reed wrote:
T. T. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

TT,

It's not really clear what's leaking. You'll need to take this apart,
clean everything up, and repair the seals. I'm guessing you'll need some
paintable caulk and some glazing compound. The glazing compound will seal
the window glass to it's frame. The caulk is used to seal everything back to
the door.
Adding a storm door might be a better fix.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:43:26 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

TT,

It's not really clear what's leaking. You'll need to take this apart,
clean everything up, and repair the seals. I'm guessing you'll need some
paintable caulk and some glazing compound. The glazing compound will seal
the window glass to it's frame. The caulk is used to seal everything back to
the door.
Adding a storm door might be a better fix.

Is there, in fact, any glass in it at all? It looks like
a metal grill and a metal shutter. If not,
there's certainly room between the outer grill and
the inner shutter to caulk a sheet of lucite in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Consider something like this - cheap, easy- also available at ACE HW
stores. It will fill the gaps around the door.
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6540116#

T. T. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

T. T. wrote:
[...]

Does the little door latch firmly? If so you could try putting some
stick-on weatherstripping around the edge of the door, it looks like
there is maybe just barely enough overlap between the little door and
its frame so that would work. Alternatively, find a small decorative
pillow that will just fit in there and stuff it in for the winter.
(Today is my day for "stuff a pillow in it" answers.)