Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Jacuzzi support

We are currently remodeling our master bath and most everything is ripped
out down to the studs and subfloor. There is a medium size Jacuzzi in there
against the outside wall with a frame around it that is about 21 inches off
the floor. It is cantilevered out about 2 feet beyond the foundation.
Underneath the bathroom there is a finished basement with a removable
suspended ceiling. The suspended ceiling is 2 feet below the floor joists.
We haven't signed a contract for the rebuilding of the bath yet (I paid a
mason that I know well to rip out the crappy builder grade tile and mud
job). Last night I was thinking it would be cool to lower the Jacuzzi 10
inches into the floor. The joists holding it up are boxed out so we are not
talking about something close to impossible. Obviously I would have to have
an engineer look at it but I've come up with 2 ideas and I wanted to bounce
them off the brilliant minds in this group. The easier idea would be to
replace the wood joist box holding up the jacuzzi with a steel framework.
So instead of 10 inch joists holding it up, maybe I could get away with 3
inch L or U channel welded framework. That way I could lower the Jacuzzi 7
inches. Another method would be to saw out the concrete wall and increase
the depth of the cantilever so the Jacuzzi sits lower into the concrete
wall. The mason I use has the equipment and skill to do this. With his
diamond blade chain saw, he would have the cut done in a few hours.
Combining both ideas, I could actually get the Jacuzzi down to almost floor
level. Was wondering what you guys thought of my ideas? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
[...]

Art-

I'm not sure I fully understand the "cantilever" nature of the
installation but by a "back of the envelope calc" a heavy 3" channel
would be less stiff than a 2x10....a 3" jr I beam would closer to what
you need

If you've got 2' below the floor joists, why not just drop the
flooring support system in the area of the tub? Of course the drop
would have to occur at the point where the current joists are
supported.....foundation wall or beam in the basement?

Hard to give a great answer from here but if you've got room to work
(sounds like you do) it should be easy.

An engineer should be able to eyeball this situation, do some calcs &
give you a sketch for a reasoanble fee. Don't what that tub in
basement

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

Art wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the advice. The masterbath has a cantilevered portion the
length of the jacuzzi and a foot of the jacuzzi overhangs the foundation
wall. It would be nice not to have to cut the foundation wall to lower the
jacuzzi. That is why I would like to use narrow steel beams to hold it
instead of 10 inch joists. That would lower the jacuzzi 7 inches. Thinking
about it further, I will probably have insulation problems in the box
overhanging the foundation if I try this.

Whirlpool/Jacuzzi Q Renee Home Ownership 3 July 14th 06 06:35 PM
Removing a jacuzzi Art Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 11:37 PM
jacuzzi purchasing help gary Home Ownership 11 December 6th 05 02:13 AM
jacuzzi shuts off.... [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 8th 05 09:09 PM
jacuzzi James Home Ownership 0 June 13th 04 08:44 AM