Posted to alt.home.repair
jst jst is offline

Default Attic electrical outlet sealing

I recently put up a ceiling fan and felt a lot of cool air coming around
the ceiling outlet. What is the best way to seal ceiling outlets? I
currently have 12" of blown in fiberglass. A friend suggested a cap to
go over the outlet but I have not been able to find one at lowes & home
depot.

Any suggestions??
Posted to alt.home.repair

jst wrote:

I recently put up a ceiling fan and felt a lot of cool air coming around
the ceiling outlet. What is the best way to seal ceiling outlets? I
currently have 12" of blown in fiberglass. A friend suggested a cap to
go over the outlet but I have not been able to find one at lowes & home
depot.

Any suggestions??

Perhaps try a "real" building supply outlet? An electrical supply house
might have them too, call around.

If you can't find them you can always cut some regular 4 mil plastic
sheeting to rest over the box in the attic and duct tape it to the
sheetrock and then put the insulation back over it. If it's a ceiling
fan box there won't be any heat issues like there are with recessed
lights.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Did that with my fan ceiling boxes. The fit was loose in the drywall, so I
foamed the box around and over the top from the attic side then dropped the
Fiberglas insulation down over the wet foam and left. Worked well, needed a
little excess trimmed from underside of the ceiling so be sure to have a
drop cloth in place.

wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:46:54 -0600, jst wrote:

I recently put up a ceiling fan and felt a lot of cool air coming around
the ceiling outlet. What is the best way to seal ceiling outlets? I
currently have 12" of blown in fiberglass. A friend suggested a cap to
go over the outlet but I have not been able to find one at lowes & home
depot.

Any suggestions??

Foam it in with spray foam. That is what the builders use for
draftstopping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:46:54 -0600, jst wrote:

I recently put up a ceiling fan and felt a lot of cool air coming around
the ceiling outlet. What is the best way to seal ceiling outlets? I
currently have 12" of blown in fiberglass. A friend suggested a cap to
go over the outlet but I have not been able to find one at lowes & home
depot.

Any suggestions??

Bury it in great-stuff, from the attic side.