Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting question

I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:

I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eric in North TX wrote:

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

I don't think you should have any problem w/ a latex as most are
rain-resistant in a couple hours or so. Again can should give you time
you need.

The front is on its way certainly -- still near 60 here, two places a
little ways to the north of us less than 50 mi apart were different by
over 25 F on the weather an hour ago. Don't think it will get to you
'til fairly late in the day anyway unless it speeds up significantly,
it's probably 300 mi from southern edge of it now down there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

You're conducting a risk/aversion poll. You will get the usual bell
curve in the answers.

There are low temperature paints that you could use. Sherwin Williams,
for one, has a few paints that can be applied with temperatures down to
35 degrees. That should be all the insurance you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

Given the current "Severe thunderstorm warning", "Winter storm warning"
and "Tornado watch" I think not painting outside today is a good idea...

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in Wichita, KS... I've got about 1/4 inch of sleet/ice to scrape
off my windsheild before I leave work tonight.

Hopefully, you didn't paint anything...this weather is the pits. Not
too mention, it's 25 degrees outside with 30-40 mph north winds... my
lips get numb in a few minutes when I go out for a smoke, can't imagine
what it would be like being outside all day in this.

Exterior Painting Question [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 1st 06 03:40 AM
Question on exterior painting [email protected] Home Ownership 4 April 8th 06 09:03 PM
Painting question R UK diy 8 September 15th 05 08:18 AM
A painting question.... Peter Home Repair 15 July 16th 05 06:20 AM