Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Slight leak under kitchen sink

The straight vertical piece of metal pipe (Likely 1.5" diameter) that
attaches to the bottom of the kitchen sink is leaking extremely slowly at
the nut at the top of the pipe that attaches to the sink. The pipe's top
nut has a crack in it. This piece of pipe also has a bottom nut (same size)
that attaches to the PVC trap below. The vertical piece also has a small
metal connection where the dishwasher drain pipe is clamped to it.

Tried using epoxy but it still leaks extremely slightly. I'm almost
comfortable not doing anything more about it.

1) Should I still have it fixed now, by replacing the cracked metal nut, or
wait and maybe try some more epoxy or caulk?

2) To replace the cracked metal nut, do I need to buy a whole new vertical
piece of pipe, or is there a way to just remove the old nut and put on a new
one?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:
The straight vertical piece of metal pipe (Likely 1.5" diameter) that
attaches to the bottom of the kitchen sink is leaking extremely slowly at
the nut at the top of the pipe that attaches to the sink. The pipe's top
nut has a crack in it. This piece of pipe also has a bottom nut (same size)
that attaches to the PVC trap below. The vertical piece also has a small
metal connection where the dishwasher drain pipe is clamped to it.

Tried using epoxy but it still leaks extremely slightly. I'm almost
comfortable not doing anything more about it.

1) Should I still have it fixed now, by replacing the cracked metal nut, or
wait and maybe try some more epoxy or caulk?

Absolutely you have to repair even the smallest leak immediately. It
is far more efficient than fixing the significant damag that even the
smallest leak can cause. Epoxy or caulk is no way to fix any kind of
leak.

2) To replace the cracked metal nut, do I need to buy a whole new vertical
piece of pipe, or is there a way to just remove the old nut and put on a new
one?

Can you post a pic of this thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jaynews" wrote in message
The straight vertical piece of metal pipe (Likely 1.5" diameter) that
attaches to the bottom of the kitchen sink is leaking extremely slowly at
the nut at the top of the pipe that attaches to the sink. The pipe's top
nut has a crack in it.

1) Should I still have it fixed now, by replacing the cracked metal nut,
or wait and maybe try some more epoxy or caulk?

Long term, that type of fix never works. Fix it the right way.

2) To replace the cracked metal nut, do I need to buy a whole new
vertical piece of pipe, or is there a way to just remove the old nut and
put on a new one?

You should be able to buy just the nut at any good hardware store. It may
be a rubber seal at the top flange that is leaking also. Chances are, the
nut cracked from over tightening to stop a small leak and this made it
worse. You may have to partially disassemble the trap to get the pieces
apart and pull out the top section of pipe to put a new nut one. this type
of job is best done an a day you know the hardware store is going to be open
should be break something else in the process.

Any plumbing book will have a diagram of how the parts typically fit
together.
Start here http://hometips.com/hyhw/plumbing/78sinks.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Slight leak under kitchen sink (bought new connection pipe, still one question)

I bought a whole new connection pipe and installed it. I went with PVC.
(The cracked nut on the old connection pipe was permanently attached. )

The new connection pipe is working. HOWEVER, I've been checking for TINY
leaks by sticking edges of paper towels around the edges of the nut at the
connection. KEY QUESTION: Should I have ZERO tolerance for the paper towel
showing any sign of wetness when I do this or is a slight bit of wetness
considered acceptable. I've already gone beyond hand tightening, and I
don't want to wind up cracking the nut and having the same problem as
before.

(by the way I did use a new plastic washer that is the same type used as
before. It's the kind that has a flat edge that touches the sink's-end of
the sink's connection)

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:
I bought a whole new connection pipe and installed it. I went with PVC.
(The cracked nut on the old connection pipe was permanently attached. )

The new connection pipe is working. HOWEVER, I've been checking for TINY
leaks by sticking edges of paper towels around the edges of the nut at the
connection. KEY QUESTION: Should I have ZERO tolerance for the paper towel
showing any sign of wetness when I do this or is a slight bit of wetness
considered acceptable. I've already gone beyond hand tightening, and I
don't want to wind up cracking the nut and having the same problem as
before.

You don't say whether it actually leaks or not. In my opinion you
absolutely must have zero tolerance for any type of water leak. It
should not and must not leak. Pipes sometimes sweat though and this
must not be confused with a leak. You should use pipe tape or dope on
the thread to prevent leaks, that's the ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not dripping. It's just that when sticking the edges of a paper towel
under the crevice of the PVC connection nut, the edges of the towel are
getting slightly wet. Presumably this means it is leaking slightly, or do I
only need need to worry if I see a drip or see water running down the pipe?

You don't say whether it actually leaks or not. In my opinion you
absolutely must have zero tolerance for any type of water leak. It
should not and must not leak. Pipes sometimes sweat though and this
must not be confused with a leak. You should use pipe tape or dope on
the thread to prevent leaks, that's the ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a 49 cent repair.

Please do it!

jaynews wrote:
[...]

Can a single mixer kitchen tap be used on a double kitchen sink??? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 23rd 05 10:26 PM
Leak under sink Lucy Home Ownership 1 April 27th 05 08:04 PM
Slight garbage disposal leak trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 March 25th 05 06:18 AM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM
Leak under kitchen sink Ohaya Home Repair 6 February 24th 04 07:58 AM