Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clearing Toilet Siphon Jet Passageway

I have a Crane toilet I installed new in 1985. It worked normally for
many years. Then over the past year or so the flushing action slowed
until it now requires two or three attempts to obtain a complete flush.
I suspect that a clogged passageway to the siphon jet is not allowing
water to enter the bowl fast enough to create a flush (I can achieve a
complete flush on the first attempt by dumping a bucket of water
directly into the bowl, so I know the bowl-to-sewer pipe passage is
clear). I've inserted #14 gauge solid wire a couple of inches into each
bowl rim rinse hole to check for clogs (e.g. mineral deposits) and
found none. I've also done the same thing to the siphon jet hole at the
bottom of the bowl....again no clog found there. I've snaked 1/8"
flexible steel cable through each of the four largest rim rinse holes
and through the large tank-to-bowl hole as far as I could push it....2
or 3 ft. depending on the particular hole......again with no obvious
evidence of clogs.

I'm wondering if the internal passageway(s) leading to the siphon jet
are clogged somewhere beyond the point (probably a sharp bend in the
passageway) I can reach with the solid wire or the flexible cable. I'd
like to fill all the passageways (both rim rinse and siphon jet) with
calcium/lime/rust remover solution and let it sit for a day or so.
Toward that end I've tried sealing the rim rinse holes with duct tape
(after cleaning the rim) and plugging the siphon jet with plumber's
putty. No dice.....the putty loosens almost right away and the tape
does so after only a few minutes.....then the solution drains to the
bottom of the bowl.

Anyone have any suggestions for adequately sealing the rinse and siphon
holes so the chemical solution can have time to work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are wanting to clean the passage way to the holes on the
underside of the rim of the bowl, Use wads of paper towel held in place
with a putty (plumber's putty) all the way around the underside of the
rim. Then pour an acid based cleaner into the overflow tube in the
tank. This will clean out the pathway to the holes, and the paper towel
will keep it in place to allow it to work.

-g

Chuck wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
[...]

Garmo-

Thanks for responding, but I've found that when the chemical solution
comes in contact with the plumber's putty the putty loosens and allows
the solution to drain too soon (see my original post above). The paper
towel would absorb the solution then the putty would be exposed to it
and would loosen.

-Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
[...]

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I do remember pouring
something into the tank and I remember cleaning out the little holes
under the rim. I might have used a coat hanger or maybe a stiff wire--I
can't remember. Whatever I did the toilet has been working good ever
since.

Try looking at these two websites:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/SlowFlush.htm

http://www.toiletology.com/lazy.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many toilets have a jet which shoots into the bottom of the bowl. It's
not easy to see, but it comes in from the front (away from the wall)
side, and squirts towards the back of the bowl, towards the wall, and
up the drain.

I've bent a coat hanger into a 7 shape, and used the top bar of the 7
to ream out the hole. I've also cleared the water out of the bowl
(turkey baster) and then poured muriatic acid into the bowl. To get
some acid into the jet.

Please let us know how things work out.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.dulley.com/tip/t1145.shtml
Click to back to Main Tips List

Dulley's Money-Saving Tip #1145
Clean out the flush jet in a toilet

(related Dulley column topic links - 558)
Recently, the toilet in my office did not flush properly. The water in
the bowl just swirled around and did not flush well. I ran an toilet
auger through the bowl and it all seemed open. I call several plumbers
and they all said that they would come out and clean out the drain for
about $100. My last call was to an older retired plumber who said that
the flush jet was clogged. This is a very common in our area because
of hard water and I would not be surprised if the other plumbers knew
this too. This jet forces water into the drain to start the flushing
action.

To fix this common problem, find the flush jet (a small hole about the
size of a finger) in the bottom of the bowl. Poke a stiff wire or ice
pick into the hole to clear out any hard water deposits. It takes
about 60 seconds to do. Several brands of toilets have the flush jet
hidden up inside the drain and it is difficult to get to. Empty the
bowl and dump some white vinegar into the overflow tube in the tank.
The vinegar will flow down into the bowl and jet area and hopefully
loosen hard water deposits.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, KPLLOYD wrote:
cayoung61-&spamblock*- wrote:

Many toilets have a jet which shoots into the bottom of the bowl. It's
not easy to see, but it comes in from the front (away from the wall)
side, and squirts towards the back of the bowl, towards the wall, and
up the drain.
I've bent a coat hanger into a 7 shape, and used the top bar of the 7
to ream out the hole. I've also cleared the water out of the bowl
(turkey baster) and then poured muriatic acid into the bowl. To get
some acid into the jet.
Please let us know how things work out.

Be carefull with the muriatic acid I tried to save a customers old mineral
bound bowl, it attacked the epoxy casting plug in the bottom of the trap !
I hate to say this but some times I have luck using a powerful shop vac to
suck out trap ! 9 times out of 10 I replace the whole toilet bowl if it is
not flushing good . Toilets can run you $ 65.00 to $500.00 It is up to
your wallet how you want to deal with this problem. KP

Fitting new toilet siphon and valve - need advice John Smith UK diy 5 June 17th 06 08:23 PM
too much toilet siphon [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 11th 06 08:35 PM
Toilet siphon ron UK diy 1 May 18th 06 02:07 PM
toilet siphon renewal? update [email protected] UK diy 3 January 23rd 06 06:16 PM
Toilet Cistern Siphon not working zzapper UK diy 11 June 21st 04 06:39 PM