Posted to alt.home.repair
ap ap is offline

Default need advice on gas range

Hello,
We have had a whirlpool gas range with electronic ignition. The range
is about 7 years old and gives us trouble sparking the pilot light. It
takes
a while to light up and there is some gas smell.

We are fairly heavy users of the stove and home cook all meals.

We are considering purchasing a new range. A few questions:

Some stores carry the older pilot light models (w/o the electronic
ignition).
Are these models better in terms of lighting up immediately?

Which models/brands do you recommend and have worked well for you?

Also, with gas ranges, do you occasionally smell gas and does your
pilot light ever
go out?

thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ap wrote:
Hello,
We have had a whirlpool gas range with electronic ignition. The range
is about 7 years old and gives us trouble sparking the pilot light. It
takes
a while to light up and there is some gas smell.

We are fairly heavy users of the stove and home cook all meals.

We are considering purchasing a new range. A few questions:

Some stores carry the older pilot light models (w/o the electronic
ignition).
Are these models better in terms of lighting up immediately?

I have always had a stove with a standing pilot. They have their good
and bad points but they are reliable with concern to lighting. When I
have had the occasional trouble it was because I slopped sudsy water
into the works. Was able to fix it with and air compressor and a pipe
cleaner.

Which models/brands do you recommend and have worked well for you?

Also, with gas ranges, do you occasionally smell gas and does your
pilot light ever
go out?

I don't know about brands but I do know that domestic stoves with
pilots are typically the cheaper ones. Commercial restaurant stoves
always have a standing pilot. So you can either buy a domestic cheapie
with a pilot or you can buy a commercial style. Commerical stoves are
often available used from restaurant equipment suppliers. Auctions of
restaurant equipment is common and is another place to look for good
deals. I have attended one such auction and stuff was going for
pennies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

ap wrote:
Hello,
We have had a whirlpool gas range with electronic ignition. The range
is about 7 years old and gives us trouble sparking the pilot light. It
takes
a while to light up and there is some gas smell.

We are fairly heavy users of the stove and home cook all meals.

We are considering purchasing a new range. A few questions:

Some stores carry the older pilot light models (w/o the electronic
ignition).
Are these models better in terms of lighting up immediately?

Which models/brands do you recommend and have worked well for you?

Also, with gas ranges, do you occasionally smell gas and does your
pilot light ever
go out?

thank you!

That sort of thing usually means the burners are dirty. A few minutes
with a wire brush should help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:00:23 GMT, CJT wrote:

ap wrote:
[...]

My mother cleaned the burners once a year or more. A friend's mother
cleaned them once a month. But friends of mine from my generation
didnt' clean them for the entire 10 years they had had the range. Of
course it was dirty and didn't light. (To be fair, his were harder
to clean than my mother's or mine when I had a gas stove)