Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Waste pipe sizes and joining ABS with copper

I want to add a shower in the bathroom of my office. This is a
commercial structure.

The available copper waste pipe, unlike other pipe compositions,
actually measures 2 inches in diameter. I see in the home improvement
center that the 2 inch ABS is larger than 2 inches.

I'm going to use ABS for the shower waste pipes. It looks like most
showers use 1-1/2 inch plumbing.

The sewer pipe coming out of the slab is cast iron, and a copper waste
pipe (from a utility sink nearby) Y's into it using a copper elbow. A 2
inch rubber union (the kind with hose-clamps) connects the copper elbow
to the cast iron Y. I could replace the copper elbow with a Y (copper?)
and run the ABS into that.

How can I mate the ABS to the copper pipe or Y? Are there adapters to
go from one material/size to another (ie, 2 inch copper to 1-1/2 inch
ABS)?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

well abs is kinda sucky so i would suggest PVC
but
there are 1-1/2 to 2 rubber union adaptors

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote:
well abs is kinda sucky so i would suggest PVC
but there are 1-1/2 to 2 rubber union adaptors

-=-=-=-

I've learned that a 1-1/2 inch ABS pipe isn't really 1-1/2, but a 2
inch copper pipe is actually 2 inches. Will such an adapter fit both?
Is there such a thing as a "specialty" adapter for ABS to copper pipe,
since they seem to use different rulers for measurement? (c:

What's so bad about ABS?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Just went and bought a 2 inch threaded male fitting (copper) and a Y
(ABS) and threaded female fitting (ABS). Will cut copper pipe and
solder male fitting and then thread into ABS female. Then glue the
female fitting to Y and away I go!

I already have 2 inch ABS pipe and fittings, so I thought I might do
the drain all in 2 inch. Any reason to not do this?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote ...
I want to add a shower in the bathroom of my office. This is a
commercial structure.

The available copper waste pipe, unlike other pipe compositions,
actually measures 2 inches in diameter. I see in the home improvement
center that the 2 inch ABS is larger than 2 inches.

Technically that 2" copper is tubing not pipe, that being the difference.
Pipe is nominally sized by it's ID whereas tubing is sized by it's OD.

I'm going to use ABS for the shower waste pipes. It looks like most
showers use 1-1/2 inch plumbing.

Why ABS? PVC is a better suited for drain/waste/vent apps.

The sewer pipe coming out of the slab is cast iron, and a copper waste
pipe (from a utility sink nearby) Y's into it using a copper elbow. A 2
inch rubber union (the kind with hose-clamps) connects the copper elbow
to the cast iron Y. I could replace the copper elbow with a Y (copper?)
and run the ABS into that.

How can I mate the ABS to the copper pipe or Y? Are there adapters to
go from one material/size to another (ie, 2 inch copper to 1-1/2 inch
ABS)?

The cheapest and easist way is to use a rybber union as you just described.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there adapters to
go from one material/size to another (ie, 2 inch copper to 1-1/2 inch
ABS)?

yes.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

I've learned that a 1-1/2 inch ABS pipe isn't really 1-1/2, but a 2
inch copper pipe is actually 2 inches. Will such an adapter fit both?
Is there such a thing as a "specialty" adapter for ABS to copper pipe,
since they seem to use different rulers for measurement?

First off, showers are 2", not 1 1/2". Bathtubs are 1 1/2". Yes, there are
adapters made to join pretty much anything that should be joined. You can try
Home Depot, ask a clerk for their 'Fernco' fittings, Fernco is one of the
largest makers of rubber couplings. Each fitting will have a label which will
list the types of piping that will fit. If they don't have what you want, try a
real plumbing supply.

--
Dennis

ABS pipe & power miter saw. Bad idea? [email protected] Home Repair 11 June 20th 06 08:23 AM
Joining waste pipes richard UK diy 2 November 13th 05 12:23 PM
Joining 15mm pipe to older pipe [email protected] UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 02:00 AM
Can water softener waste go through copper pipe ? Ian Middleton UK diy 4 January 13th 05 02:31 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 06:34 AM