dog tunneling under chain link fence

Old November 24th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default dog tunneling under chain link fence

Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us
dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we
should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the
fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the
top. I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow
the progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk
12" or so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any
gap between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging
idea, what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?

Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of
those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...

-Karen-
Old November 24th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

add invisible fence around permiter, dog not wanting to get shocked
will stay away from fence

I have a dog like that her name is puddle.

She a small poodle would jump a 4 foot wire mesh fence, leak out doors,
run all thru neighborhood, chase cars, barking for no reason, got hit
by car... we made new friends police

Finally solved it all by getting puddle a friend, susie.

companion solved all the troubles our dog was bored..........

might be easier to add a friend on a trial basis and see if that fixes
things.

your local animal shelter would likely love a foster parent, and you
can save a life and perhaps get your dog a friend while ending the
behavior problem.

no long term cmmitment, its worth a try and is the cheapest solution.

Old November 24th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us
dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we
should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the
fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the top.
I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow the
progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk 12" or
so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any gap
between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging idea,
what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?

So Barfie is digging his way out? Gee, he/she is surely a candidate for
neutering or spaying. There are all kinds of solutions, but I'd look
closely at the dog before turning your property into a stalag.

Old November 24th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

So Barfie is digging his way out? Gee, he/she is surely a candidate for
neutering or spaying. There are all kinds of solutions, but I'd look
closely at the dog before turning your property into a stalag.

our dog puddle was fixed but stiill got bored and ran the
neighborhood.......

Old November 24th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
add invisible fence around permiter, dog not wanting to get shocked
will stay away from fence

I have a dog like that her name is puddle.

She a small poodle would jump a 4 foot wire mesh fence, leak out doors,
run all thru neighborhood, chase cars, barking for no reason, got hit
by car... we made new friends police

Finally solved it all by getting puddle a friend, susie.

companion solved all the troubles our dog was bored..........

might be easier to add a friend on a trial basis and see if that fixes
things.

your local animal shelter would likely love a foster parent, and you
can save a life and perhaps get your dog a friend while ending the
behavior problem.

no long term cmmitment, its worth a try and is the cheapest solution.

I'll second this- the dog is probably just bored and lonely. Have you tried
more 'inside time' with the rest of the pack? They are pack animals. They
see their humans as their pack. If the humans don't give them any face time,
they feel rejected, and try to move on.

aem sends....

Old November 24th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us
dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we
should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the
fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the
top. I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow
the progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk
12" or so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any
gap between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging
idea, what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?

Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of
those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...

-Karen-

I have a white Golden Retriever/German Sheperd mix that does that. One
day, I saw her digging so fast that about all you could see was a
steady stream of dirt flying through the air with an occasional glimpse
of white fur. I just stood there and watched her for a minute waiting
to see if she would realize I was watching.

Finally, I yelled at her and she looked up at me and I looked at her
and she looked at me. For a moment we just stood there looking at each
other. Then finally, she took her nose and shoved two small scoups of
dirt back in the hole and casually walked off as though nothing had
happened.

I filled the hole with some dirt and big rocks and that's been the
routine ever since. I think I have finally won the battle of wills now
since she doesn't dig under the fence much anymore. That's one small
step for man and one giant leap for mankind, I think. Now she digs in
any bare spots she can find in the middle of the backyard and I
dutifully fill them in whenever she does, but the problem with digging
under the fence seems to have been solved.

Old November 25th 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Of course all here is just recommendations without guarantee but I did
do the following for a full size German Shepard.

I dug a very shallow trench maybe 2 to 3 inches deep about 10 inches
wide from the fence back into the yard.

Then I affixed hog wire fence to the bottom of the existing fence ran it
down to the ground and bent it back toward me to lay flat in the bottom
of the shallow trench I made.

Then I covered the trench with the sod I took out, kept it watered so it
would grow.

The dog tried to dig in three or four spots and gave up. Never tried to
dig again other than a hole right through the solid core door. (An
intruder got into the house and she was not going to have it.) Ripped
the pocket right off the guy with some underwear. Nice thing about it,
it was the pocket with his wallet. Very easy catch.

Old November 25th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of
those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...

-Karen-

I built a dog run on the side of my garage and had the same problem. I
solved it by putting a section of chainlink fence on the ground and
covering it with a couple of inches of pea gravel. Not only did it
stop her from digging it also keeps her from getting muddy. I rinse it
down with the hose every once in a while and it works great. My dog run
is 6' wide and goes the entire length of the garage with a dog door
going into a pen inside the garage. Not sure if this helps you, but
this is how I solved a similar problem.

Old November 25th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence?

Google says bury chicken wire to a depth of 12" below the fence.