Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Is this normal?

Hi everyone,

I need your advice if possible.

We called a local contractor to give us a free estimate for a minor
repair (a few shingles need to be replaced after a recent wind storm).
He came over and quickly applied some kind of a temporary patch and
told my wife that he would give as call to discuss this and then he
left. The next day I noticed lots of dents on the garage roof that
weren't there before. Apparently that's where he placed his ladder to
be able to access the area that needed work. Here is the pictu

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/iazh5/3.jpg

The arrow indicates the area that needed work. The white dots are the
dents that I noticed.

Here's a couple of more detailed pictures of the damage taken from
inside the house:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/iazh5/2.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/iazh5/1.jpg

There are actually many more dents than seen on these pictures as if he
needed to reposition his ladder a few times.

I have a few questions. Do the shingles look damaged badly enough that
they need to be replaced?
Can he claim that was the only way to reach the upper roof? Could have
he avoided this? Can we hold him repsonsible for the damage he caused
or that's normal? Shouldn't he have some kind of a stabilizer or a
stand-off or whatever you call it to avoid resting the ladder directly
on the roof? Why would he need to reposition his ladder so many times
to apply a patch to cover such a small area (just a few missing
shingles all in the same place)?

What I find frustraing is that we wanted him to just give us a free
estimate and possibly replace maybe a dozen missing shingles, that's
all. He hasn't done that yet but he has already damaged a dozen more

What woud you do in our place?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes, the shingles need to be replaced, but it isn't urgent. Same crew from a
real roofer that fixes the original damage can do it. Stuff like this is why
it is always good to have part or all of a bundle of the original shingles
stashed in a corner of the basement, so you can get a same-batch color
match.

As to the first idiot- write it off as an expensive lesson- it would cost
you more to sue than you would ever recover. Definitely don't let him touch
your roof again. Looks like he used one of those telescoping 'estimator's
ladders', rather than a real ladder, to get up there, and then pulled it up
after himself to get to second floor roof. He never should have touched
garage roof at all- a 20 or 24 foot extension would have easily reached
upper roof from the end of the house. Must have been a sunny day, or the
caps on the bottom of his ladder legs must be missing or worn out.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , wrote:

As to the first idiot- write it off as an expensive lesson- it would cost
you more to sue than you would ever recover. Definitely don't let him touch
your roof again.

Yup, nothing else really makes any sense, sad though it must
be for the OP.

It appears that there isn't any immediate leak. Hopefully,
that will give the OP sufficient time to find a decent
roof guy, check references etc.

I sort of glad that I had a very minor roof problem last
year. I now have what seems to be a really good local roofing
firm in my database. At least I know who to call if a more
serious/urgent problem should happen to arise this winter.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |