water filter housing stuck

Old November 23rd 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default water filter housing stuck

Just purchased a house and tried to change the water filter. I can't
budge it and I'm afraid I'm going to break a pipe or pull the support
out of the wall (it's that tight). Please tell me there's a way to get
this thing off without having to call a plumber. It's thanksgiving
weekend.

It's a big blue 10" filter system.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just purchased a house and tried to change the water filter. I can't
budge it and I'm afraid I'm going to break a pipe or pull the support
out of the wall (it's that tight). Please tell me there's a way to get
this thing off without having to call a plumber. It's thanksgiving
weekend.

It's a big blue 10" filter system.

First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually
damage the housing.

Old November 23rd 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually
damage the housing.

Edwin -
Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red
pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge
at all.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
" wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually
damage the housing.

Edwin -
Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red
pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge
at all.

It may have been tightened too much.

I once (after many times replacing the carbon cartridge in past)
tightened the housing too tightly. Mine has ribs on the plastic housing
casing. I used (carefully) a pipe wrench as the spacing was very wide
and the casing large as well and no other wrench I had would open that
wide.

It did move enough to get the housing loose. I have been careful ever
since to not tighten too much.

Good luck.

Morenuf
--
lid
Old November 23rd 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water
valve
to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little
Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of
pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can
actually
damage the housing.

Edwin -
Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red
pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge
at all.

Are you using the proper wrench? Without it I could never get them off!
It is like a big box wrench with recesses to fit all the ribs.

Have one person hold the pipes to keep them in place, and then just put your
weight into the wrench. And make sure you are turning it the right
direction.

Old November 23rd 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Finally got it using a bit of each of your advice. In the end a strap
wrench along with a neighbors help got it off.

Lesson learned. Hand tighten only.

Thanks very much to all who replied.

carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 04:35 PM
suggestions on water filter housing Tony Home Repair 4 March 4th 06 03:35 PM
Well Water filter Platebanger Home Repair 4 June 10th 05 04:59 PM
Water filter Jack Allen Home Repair 19 March 24th 05 11:34 PM
stuck tap in aluminum housing mkazemi Metalworking 34 December 24th 04 07:08 PM