Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hook on hollow core door

I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:51:58 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

I think the stiles and rails use 2x2 inch material in hollow core
doors. They would be strong enough to hold a hook.

Search for "over the door hooks bathroom" less quotation. They hang
over the top of the door and have no mounting or potential damage to a
hollow door. We (my wife) uses them here at home.

Sample:

https://toilettreeproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/bamboo-towel-hooks-3-hook.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 1:52:05 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

IDK what you plan on hanging from the hook, but just toggle bolts
are plenty for any reasonable hook usage I would have. Even basic
plastic anchors would be enough to hold a towel, jacket, etc. If they
fail and damage the door as you fear, then you could still go to your
board across it all to cover it. KISS is my solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.
I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.
I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure,
and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.
My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into
the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.
Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?
I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

I'd expect only about 1.5 inches of inner frame - but that will do
fine. If you want to pretty-it-up - maybe router a decorative
edge and/or add some decorative scroll ?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,46577,48811
or toll paint .. just so it doesn't look like a board screwed to the
door .. :-) ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2017 1:51 PM, TimR wrote:
I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

Just 5-Minute epoxy one of these plaques to the door, wait 301 seconds and then fasten your hook to the plaque.

https://smile.amazon.com/Creative-Ho.../dp/B01E7PAXOQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the plaque idea, but I found an over the door clamp that fits without banging the frame, and that seems the safest.

Thanks all.