Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless in series with Traditional Water Heater?

I have a 50Gal hot water heater under my house serving 2 bathrooms and
four people. I am looking for a safe way to prolong the availability of
hot water when two or three people take a shower in a row. I was
thinking about putting an inline water heater before the 50gal tank
heater. I don't want to buy a big inline heater, as it's just going to
be for stretching out the hot water available during a 40 minute
period. The problem I see is the max flow through the inline unit will
be too small. Do they make inline units that will flow at arbitrary
rates, and just heat the water less when flowing fast? This would be
ideal for me. Otherwise, could I split the flow (in parallel) going
into the tank water heater: half through the inline unit, and 2) half
through some restrictor valve to even the bias?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could get a tankless to do the whole job, a Takagi or Rinnai then
you can realy waste water and let everyone take 40 minute showers, since
cost is not an issue for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cm wrote:
Go tankless.

AND HAVE TROUBLES! Low flow no hot water, power failure no hot water,
need to upgrade power or gas lines and perhaps still no be happy

Another option is a tempering valve.

you set the existing hot water tank to HOT and install a tempering
valve at the outlet.

it mixes hot with cold water so you cant get scalded. acts like a
larger hot water tank.

a tankless before your hot water tank will help, low flow doesnt matter
since you only need the extra capacity during high flow periods.

at low flow times the existing hot water tank can easily keep up with
demands

I ended up buying a high BTU tank. its 50 gallons at 75,000 BTU. This
solved my running out of hot water trouble.

I always shower before laundry but then we have 2 washing machines, so
demands can get high........

Posted to alt.home.repair

why would max demand be low flow?

max demand is when the tankless will be of most help?

are you talking electric or gas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My concern is that my current tank water heater will let through, lets
just say for argument sake, 10gpm, and by putting an inline in front of
it, the inline will only let through, say, 3gpm, thus my whole hot
water system will be throttled back to 3gpm. I want to know if small
inlines are limited to a certain flow, or if the flow rating is just a
number that guarentees full heating if the flow is not higher.

I don't want to buy a full size inline water heater since i have a new
regular water heater, and I only want to buy a small inline to put in
front of it,to save money on equipment costs, and to boost the hot
water system a little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 50Gal hot water heater under my house serving 2 bathrooms and
four people. I am looking for a safe way to prolong the availability of
hot water when two or three people take a shower in a row...

You might look into a greywater heat exchanger, or check out

http://www.sunfrost.com/efficient_shower.html

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 50Gal hot water heater under my house serving 2 bathrooms and
four people. I am looking for a safe way to prolong the availability of
hot water when two or three people take a shower in a row...

You might look into a greywater heat exchanger, or check out

http://www.sunfrost.com/efficient_shower.html

Nick

The whole point of putting a tankless in series with a tank type heater
escapes me. Once the 50 gals of hot water in the tank is gone, for
the tankless to be of any significant benefit, it's going to have to
have enough capacity to pretty much heat the incoming water up to full
temp. This means a gas fired unit of sufficient capacity. Once you
have that, what's the point to having the tank heater too? It just
defeats one of the main features of the tankless, which is no standby
loss of heat from the tank.

And forget the greywater heat exchanger, as you're never going to
recover enough heat from tepid water going down the drain to heat
incoming fresh cold water anywhere near to the point of it being
usable. Just more pie in the sky ideas, without regard to the real
world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The whole point of putting a tankless in series with a tank type
heater
escapes me. Once the 50 gals of hot water in the tank is gone, for
the tankless to be of any significant benefit, it's going to have to
have enough capacity to pretty much heat the incoming water up to full
temp. This means a gas fired unit of sufficient capacity. Once you
have that, what's the point to having the tank heater too? It just
defeats one of the main features of the tankless, which is no standby
loss of heat from the tank. "

I agree with the above station. I also think the OP is being a big
baby. If they want to have hot water under low flow conditions,
presumably they are thinking of a situation where they are, for
example, washing their hands, then maybe they should try using a
separate inline water heater at the sink itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The whole point of putting a tankless in series with a tank type heater
escapes me. Once the 50 gals of hot water in the tank is gone, for
the tankless to be of any significant benefit, it's going to have to
have enough capacity to pretty much heat the incoming water up to full
temp. This means a gas fired unit of sufficient capacity. Once you
have that, what's the point to having the tank heater too? It just
defeats one of the main features of the tankless, which is no standby
loss of heat from the tank.

And forget the greywater heat exchanger, as you're never going to
recover enough heat from tepid water going down the drain to heat
incoming fresh cold water anywhere near to the point of it being
usable. Just more pie in the sky ideas, without regard to the real
world.

Well a small single faucet 200 buck unit probably wouldnt help at all

but any raise in incoming water temp will yield more hot water...

witha new hot water heater adding a tempering valve and setting btank
to max will help some

the OP should of purvhased a high BTU tank for greater recovery.

if theres space adding a second regular tank in series should fix his
problem./

frankly i HATE running out of hot water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

... forget the greywater heat exchanger, as you're never going to
recover enough heat from tepid water going down the drain to heat
incoming fresh cold water anywhere near to the point of it being
usable.

Try a few real numbers, vs faith :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, incoming water is 45 deg. Outgoing is 65 deg. Want to take a
shower with that? The point is, for a flow rate sufficient to supply
additional hot water realtime to 2 bathrooms after the tank is
exhausted, you need a big tankless. Anything short of that isn;t
going to do it, and once you have that, you don't need the tank. In
fact, the tank water heater defeats one main purpose of the tankless,
which is to save energy by eliminating standby loss.

witha new hot water heater adding a tempering valve and setting btank
to max will help some

the OP should of purvhased a high BTU tank for greater recovery.

if theres space adding a second regular tank in series should fix his
problem./

frankly i HATE running out of hot water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 50Gal hot water heater under my house serving 2 bathrooms and
four people. I am looking for a safe way to prolong the availability of
hot water when two or three people take a shower in a row. I was
thinking about putting an inline water heater before the 50gal tank
heater. I don't want to buy a big inline heater, as it's just going to
be for stretching out the hot water available during a 40 minute
period. The problem I see is the max flow through the inline unit will
be too small. Do they make inline units that will flow at arbitrary
rates, and just heat the water less when flowing fast? This would be
ideal for me. Otherwise, could I split the flow (in parallel) going
into the tank water heater: half through the inline unit, and 2) half
through some restrictor valve to even the bias?

After convincing people to take shorter showers, the first
thing to do is make sure that your showerheads are LOW flow
units. Get ones with a shut-off on it to turn the water off while
soaping up, and teach people to use it. If your shower valves
allow it, don't turn the water all the way on to shower.
If you still have a problem, turn up the water heater temp.
If you are concerned about scalding, a tempering valve on
the output would help. Next step would be to upsize the water
heater, or replace it with a faster recovery unit.
Any of these steps should be cheaper than a big enough
inline unit to do any good.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 50Gal hot water heater under my house serving 2 bathrooms and
four people. I am looking for a safe way to prolong the availability of
hot water when two or three people take a shower in a row. I was
thinking about putting an inline water heater before the 50gal tank
heater. I don't want to buy a big inline heater, as it's just going to
be for stretching out the hot water available during a 40 minute
period. The problem I see is the max flow through the inline unit will
be too small. Do they make inline units that will flow at arbitrary
rates, and just heat the water less when flowing fast? This would be
ideal for me. Otherwise, could I split the flow (in parallel) going
into the tank water heater: half through the inline unit, and 2) half
through some restrictor valve to even the bias?

If it were me I'd reverse the connection you propose, incoming cold to HW
tank, then output that to the tankless. Set the HW tank temp down very low
(start at somewhere below 90F, adjust to suit as you get experience with it)
so the Tankless has to manage a smaller temperature rise. Then you'd pretty
much have unlimited hot water.
Here's what i did. I got an old HW tank, stripped off the shell and painted
the tank flat black with rustoleum [several coats]. It sits on a small
concrete pad i made outside my garage on south side. Then I plumbed it in
series with the HW tank, the incoming cold goes to the black tank, sun
heats it a bit (its outside in the sun) and the mildly warm water feeds
into the cold inlet on the HW tank in the garage. This reduces the work
load of the water heater and lowers my bill. The outside tank has a
temperature relief as does the inside tank for safety. The inside tank is
blanket wrapped to also improve its efficiency. My next addition will be to
build a plexiglass box around the outside tank and, being up here in NW US
where winters are generally above freezing, that should extend the portion
of each year i can use it by quite a bit.
Eric

Of course its bypassed and drained in the winter but in summer it makes a
significant contribution to heating my water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I like the reversing the order idea, but something tells me there might
be no difference. I don't want low flow shower heads, we like hot,
powerfull showers. I thought there would be some continuous mixing in a
water heater tank, everyone here talks like there isn't. I still think
adding the inline unit would get me a lot more hot shower quality water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the reversing the order idea, but something tells me there might
be no difference. I don't want low flow shower heads, we like hot,
powerfull showers. I thought there would be some continuous mixing in a
water heater tank, everyone here talks like there isn't. I still think
adding the inline unit would get me a lot more hot shower quality water.

in line unit can add only its rated number of BTUs per hour no matter
where its located.

a small unit wouldnt help much

hot hot do you keep your tank currently?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Nov 2006 08:24:36 -0800, "
wrote:

I like the reversing the order idea, but something tells me there might
be no difference. I don't want low flow shower heads, we like hot,
powerfull showers. I thought there would be some continuous mixing in a
water heater tank, everyone here talks like there isn't. I still think
adding the inline unit would get me a lot more hot shower quality water.

in line unit can add only its rated number of BTUs per hour no matter
where its located.

a small unit wouldnt help much

hot hot do you keep your tank currently?

Any electric on-demand HWH would use an incredible about of power to
do any good. You might have to upgrade your service equipment
(breaker box and lines to the utility transformer) just to serve this
load.

Gas on-demand hot water heaters have there own expensive issues with
venting requirments and code restrictions regarding where it can be
placed. It may be just an illusion that these are cheaper when you
consider installation expenses, availability of replacement parts,
etc.

A larger capacity traditional tank HWH in a gas model is the way that
I'd go. Water heaters, in addition to size are rated by recovery time
(the time it takes to heat the tank back to usuable conditions after
all of the hot water is gone). Gas is always superior to electic in
the same volume range, and cheaper too, in most areas.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Eric wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Forget those low flow shower heads, life is too short to live like a refugee
The trick is to find a way to be able to afford these benefits.
Doing what i said above with the tankless water heater "After" the Tank type
heater will give you way more HW at a single period of time than you should
need or want. I Promise. The Tankless can supply water just about
continuously at say 3GPM/60F temp rise so if your ground water is 55F then
the tankless alone can supply 115 degree water forever. But thats at max
capabilities and you never want to run at that level, so if you insert a
standard water heater BEFORE the tankless and supply the tankless with 80
or even 70 degree water then the tankless isnt maxed out and can supply
that 115 degree water at much higher GPM, ie the tankless is only working
at some percent capacity and can handle fluctuations in demand easily. When
its operating at max capacity any fluctuation in demand will cause a
temperature change.
There is continuous mixing of water in a HW tank, cold comes in the top,
down the dip tube to the bottom and into the surrounding HW. HW goes out
the top of the tank, it cant help but mix. But the water in the tank is
much hotter near the tanks top than it is at the bottom. Thats why a 50
gallon HW tank can produce a first hour rating of 79 gallons, you dont have
just 50 gallons of HW, you have 50 gallons of "too hot" water so you
effectively can get more gallons of "just right" hot water out of it.
Plus the tanks heater (gas or electric) comes on when the temp drops to the
setpoint and starts adding heat to the contents - these 2 things work
together to give you that 79 gallons of HW from the 50 gallon tank.
Eric

tankless water heater vs. small water heater. Spider Home Repair 7 October 14th 14 12:03 AM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Repair 13 November 1st 06 03:44 AM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Ownership 11 November 1st 06 03:44 AM
Tankless Water Heater Tom Home Repair 20 January 6th 06 09:52 PM
Tankless Water Heater bobby Home Ownership 7 December 9th 04 07:36 PM