Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP! New floor & now fridge won't fit under kitchen cabinets ( PICs )

Panic time!

I got a new porcelain floor in my kitchen. I didn't realize the new
floor ended up being about 3/8 of an inch higher than the old one and
now the fridge won't fit under the kitchen cabinets hanging on my wall.

How hard is it to raise the cabinets that are hanging on the wall? The
section of cabinets is only as big as shown in the pics below. Or,
should I plan on cutting a notch out of the cabinets to clear the
fridge.

The fridge is as low as it can go, btw.

http://www.kevandshan.com/pics/fridge_1.jpg

http://www.kevandshan.com/pics/fridge_2.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
How hard is it to raise the cabinets that are hanging on the wall? The
section of cabinets is only as big as shown in the pics below. Or,
should I plan on cutting a notch out of the cabinets to clear the
fridge.

The fridge is as low as it can go, btw.

http://www.kevandshan.com/pics/fridge_1.jpg

http://www.kevandshan.com/pics/fridge_2.jpg

From what I can see, there is a strip of wood on the bottom of the cabinet
that comes down below the base of the cabinet. Just trim it back.

Have any friends that are very handy or do woodworking? it is a 10 minute
job with a good jigsaw or a router.

Raising the cabinet can be a real PITA, depending on where it is attached,
it won't line up on the top, etc. I'd go for the notch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your feedback. I've been examining this further. It looks
like where I'd have to put the notch interferes with where there are
some fasteners that hold the cabinet together. At the corners where
the cut(s) would be, there's a screw that holds the joint together.
So, it looks like I can't notch out where I need to.

It looks like I can raise just the section above the fridge, and since
I only need the raise it by about 3/8 of an inch, I think the molding
at the top will hide the mismatch at the top edge (after I reinstall
it) and I can drop the two cabinet doors above the fridge about 3/8 of
an inch to keep them matched up with the other (unmoved) doors.

I have the section above the fridge all loosened up and it seems like
it's in between the adjacent cabinets and the wall on the right pretty
tight. I think I can just slide it up 3/8 of an inch and drive some
new fasteners (longer just to be safe). Need to wait to my help gets
here tomorrow though...

Then I'll just have to do a bit of painting to cover up the witness
marks.

Hope the cabinets move up pretty easy...I'm counting on it. :-O

Posted to alt.home.repair

If that doesn't work, just remove the cabinet. You can't reach it
anyway. I've never used mine for anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea... Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I put shallow slide out drawers in upper cabinets to enable them to be
used without resorting to a step ladder.

On 21 Nov 2006 20:26:00 -0800, wrote:

If that doesn't work, just remove the cabinet. You can't reach it
anyway. I've never used mine for anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was the previous floor removed completely befoe the new one was
installed? If not, it shoudl have been. Also, if you actually
bothered to read the manufacturers installation instructions for the
refrigerator you would have noticed that that it gives minimum
clearances on all sides of the refrigerator, which you have alos most
likely violated. If you trim the cabinet piece, what's going to happen
when you have to replace the refrigerator? It's not going to look nice
unles you can get another refrigerator the same size. Either redo the
floor right if that's what caused the problem, buy a smaller
refrigerator, or remove the cabinet, then wait until your refirgerator
breaks, then but a smaller one and replace the cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 21 Nov 2006 19:54:53 -0800, "
wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I've been examining this further. It looks
like where I'd have to put the notch interferes with where there are
some fasteners that hold the cabinet together. At the corners where
the cut(s) would be, there's a screw that holds the joint together.
So, it looks like I can't notch out where I need to.

It looks like I can raise just the section above the fridge, and since
I only need the raise it by about 3/8 of an inch, I think the molding
at the top will hide the mismatch at the top edge (after I reinstall
it) and I can drop the two cabinet doors above the fridge about 3/8 of
an inch to keep them matched up with the other (unmoved) doors.

I wouldn't count on moving the door, not sure it is possible, will
have extra holes, and I wouldn't try it. Just look at it as a mark of
pride that you have such a big refrigerator.

And why shouldn't the doors not be higer anyhow. Istn't decorative
trim above a doorway or window often higher than elsewhere?

Maybe next fridge will be smaller and you'll want to move the cabinets
and the doors back.

I have the section above the fridge all loosened up and it seems like
it's in between the adjacent cabinets and the wall on the right pretty
tight. I think I can just slide it up 3/8 of an inch and drive some
new fasteners (longer just to be safe). Need to wait to my help gets
here tomorrow though...

Then I'll just have to do a bit of painting to cover up the witness
marks.

Hope the cabinets move up pretty easy...I'm counting on it. :-O

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's going to happen in the same situation in a million other homes
where you have a gap of several inchs between the cabinet and
refrigerator? .

Your supposed to leave some room (couple of inches) around your
refrigerator on all sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was able to raise the cabinets above the fridge enough to make room
and the molding was able to hide the mismatch at the top edge. Can't
tell there was ever an issue. Thank goodness!!