Posted to alt.home.repair
gus gus is offline

Default 600 C-9 light bulbs

We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts. This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations? I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

Posted to alt.home.repair

pretest them at home. somehow get them on dimmers so the replacing of
all the burnouts won't make you crazy: you just dim them a bit from
full. and protect them from theft.

gus wrote:
We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts. This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations? I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 19 Nov 2006 16:42:17 -0800, "gus" wrote:

We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts. This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations? I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

The normal rule is you don't put a load greater than 80% of circuit
capacirty itf it will be on longer than 3 hours.
Christmas is usually when the NEC goes on vacation though. If you
spread these out across 6 cords, plugged into the receptacles directly
I don't really see a huge problem thouigh since, technically it is a
700w load and a 1400w load on each, not a 2100w load. The circuit
itself should take it.

Fortunately circuit breakers do not take holidays off. They are only rated
for a maximum of 80% continuous load of 3 hours or more. Depending on the
age, quality, and condition of the circuit breakers you may not get them to
stay on for that long. That's about 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Nov 2006 16:42:17 -0800, "gus" wrote:

We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts. This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations?

I think I remember that from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
and the blackout ended when someone at the power plant threw a switch
labeled "Emergency Nuclear Power".

That was followed by someone saying "Don't look directly at the
house".

I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

I have used 300 around my house, but that was divided among 3 circuits
(shared with other lights). I consider the load to be 6A per 100.
That's a little safety margin.

18A load from lights might be too high for one circuit, considering
the extra current drawn by lights when they're cold.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair
gus gus is offline

Thanks for the input. I have an electrician coming out to inspect the
whole set up, but if you experience a brown out about 7:00 pm (MST) on
Friday after Thanksgiving you know what happened.
Gus
John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, gus wrote:
We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts.

First problem I found - C9 bulbs consume more than 7 watts, and I have
the impression of traditionaly 10 watts!

This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations? I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

I would allow for 10 watts per C9 bulb!

- Don Klipstein (Jr), )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:I hel;ped my neighbor a griswald type a few years ago.
He was using his main plus a sub panel drawing over 120 amps. We had to
balance the loads since breakers were tripping.

He got a near 1000 buck electric bill and now does nearly nothing.

He had made the news and created a traffic problem but I miss it.

He offered to do it again but power it from my home...

He literally lit up the neighborhood!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dim them slightly for much longer life.................

Posted to alt.home.repair
gus gus is offline

I found this link which answers all my questions. The chart says 7
watts and max of 274 lamps per 20 amp circuit.
http://www.centsibleholidaylighting....watts-amps.htm
Thanks for the input
Gus
wrote:
Dim them slightly for much longer life.................

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:00:54 +0000 (UTC),
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

First problem I found - C9 bulbs consume more than 7 watts, and I have
the impression of traditionaly 10 watts!

I was really thinking "9" in C-9 was the watts but the way they rate
things these days I wouldn't bet on anything. I doubt the quality
control is that precise to start with. The safest bet is 3 circuits if
you can come up with another 20 amps somewhere.

C9 is a designation of bulb style/shape and diameter, and not wattage.

C means "candle flame shape". The "9" means maximum overall diameter,
in 1/8ths of an inch (meaning 1.125 inches).

C9, A19 and things along these refer to bulb shape/diameter.

There is a letter designation for bulb shape, and a number designation
of bulb diameter in 1/8's of an inch.

A has 2 stories behind it, 1 saying "arbitrary" and 1 meaning "average".
A lingering story is that "average" is between "PS" (see below) and "S"
(see below).

B is supposedly "Blister", but some sort of oval shape.

C means "candle flame" shape.

E means ellipsoidal.

F means a flame shape - maybe more bottom-fat than C.

G means globular/spherical.

GTL means an incandescent penlight bulb having a short tube protruding
from a spherical bulb with the short tube having a lens.

K is some specific reflectorized bulb design that I sense as being good
for more compact incandescents.

PAR means "Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" - traditionally a narrower
beam spotlight.

PS is "pearshape" - usually a higher wattage bulb that has a tubular
"neck" between the base and the "main bulb portion".

R means "reflectorized bulb" - usually a floodlight or spotlight design.

S is a shape more common for some automotive types of bulbs and some
more ancient designs of bulbs - "S" means "straight-sided" - like an "ice
cream cone".

T means any of a significant variety of tubular shapes, for both
"single-end" and "double end" lightbulbs! May include some Philips ones
from production lines previously owned by Westinghouse, as well as
whatever else (bigtime available) is "T-bulb"!

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "gus" wrote:
I found this link which answers all my questions. The chart says 7
watts and max of 274 lamps per 20 amp circuit.

For what it's worth, that's 15.98 amps at 120 volts, or right at the 80% of
the circuit rating that you were told was the limit, several posts ago...

http://www.centsibleholidaylighting....watts-amps.htm

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a reason they're called c NINE. They are 9w each. duh.

--
Steve Barker

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article . com, gus
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve Barker LT" wrote:
There is a reason they're called c NINE. They are 9w each. duh.

Yeah, you would think that -- but you would be wrong.

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/L...LampSpecs.html

C9 simply specifies the shape and size of the glass bulb.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Nov 2006 20:10:50 -0800, "
wrote:

Dim them slightly for much longer life.................

I have used a very simple dimmer that was just a diode (half-wave
rectifier). This sort of thing allows to you get twice as many bulbs
on the same circuit (connect half to positive, half to negative.
They're never on at the same time).

Of course you'd need a diode that can handle that current.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

gus wrote:

We are putting light bulbs on a large outside tree in a city park. We
have six 100 foot strings of 100 C-9 lights. We have two 20 amp GFI
circuits available. I plan to put 300 lights on each circuit. My math
shows 2300 watts available and C-9 bulbs use 7 watts. This comes to
2100 watts. I will use 12 guage extension cords. The light strings
and bulbs are commercial grade. This all looks good on paper, but I am
worried because there is not much room for real world error. Does
anybody have experience with this many lights? Wasn't there a movie
about a guy causing a large scale blackout when he threw the switch on
his house decorations? I don't want to be that guy. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gus

Hmmm,
As of this year I switched to LED 100%. Older bulbs are all retired.
Nicer sparkling colors and WAY, WAY less energy consumption.
When I used bulb I used flip-flop circuit to make lights
scintillate(looks nicer) and lessen the power usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gus wrote:

[...]

This year I had a lot of LED lights (with pictures online at
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com/winter.html , click to see a
fullsize picture), with more expected next year. There's still a few
things I don't have LED versions of, like the lighted, animated deer.

Nicer sparkling colors

Yes. The colors shouldn't fade in 2-3 years like the incandescents do.

and WAY, WAY less energy consumption.

I haven't gotten to 100% LED yet, but do expect to use less than half
as much electricity as last year (when I had very few LED strings).

When I used bulb I used flip-flop circuit to make lights
scintillate(looks nicer) and lessen the power usage.

My setup is similar, with 2 out-of-phase flashing circuits, so one
(and only one) is on at a time (except the particular time I changed
the wires to take pictures). I do have a fancier flash, using an old
computer to flash them according to Morse code.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Can I Mix 40 Watts and 25 Watts Light Bulbs in One Fixture? [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 31st 18 05:02 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Burned Out Light Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 42 March 4th 05 04:28 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM