Pressure washer storage

Old November 19th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washer storage

You guys in Northern climates -- what do you do to prepare your
pressure washer for winter. Amazingly, my manual says absolutely
nothing about the subject.

I'd take it down in the basement if it was an electric model but its
gas powered so it must ramain out in the garage where the temperature
will plummet bellow freezing. Afraid the pump will freeze up and
crack. My idea was to fill the pump with 50/50 automotive antifreeze.
Is that the prevailing wisdom?

Brian

Old November 19th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Antifreeze would likely work, but up here in northern Alberta, I've
never had a problem just removing all the hoses, and blowing everything
out with compressed air.

That's always worked for me.

good luck!

Old November 19th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Nov 2006 13:25:10 -0800, "
wrote:

You guys in Northern climates -- what do you do to prepare your
pressure washer for winter. Amazingly, my manual says absolutely
nothing about the subject.

I'd take it down in the basement if it was an electric model but its
gas powered so it must ramain out in the garage where the temperature
will plummet bellow freezing. Afraid the pump will freeze up and
crack. My idea was to fill the pump with 50/50 automotive antifreeze.
Is that the prevailing wisdom?

Brian

Run the gas out as normal. Then rig a funnel to a tube and
connect the tube to the water inlet. Fill the funnel with either
winter windshield washer solvent or RV antifreeze solvent. Crank the
engine/pump by hand without starting until you get the solvent to
run all the way through the pump. You're done until spring.

They also sell aerosol cans that do the same.
Old November 19th 06, 10:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

Yup...pour straight radiator antifreeze in the pump and crank it on until
the pump starts pumping it so show that the entire working part of the pump
is full of antifreeze.. Don't point the wand at the grass like I did last
year. Killed it as effective as using round up...

Old November 19th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Lowes, Home Cheapo, Northern, etc. all sell an aerosol can of "storage
anti freeze and conditioner" made for power washers. I would advise
against using windshield washer, or anti freeze because of the reaction
with the "cheap" rubber seal materials the manufactures use now a days.
A can or this stuff costs like $4 and hooks up to the water supply hose
inlet of the pump and all you have to do is press the button and the
pressure blows old water out the pump while adding the anti freeze and
pump conditioner, and it lasts for many "flushings".

Old November 19th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
You guys in Northern climates -- what do you do to prepare your
pressure washer for winter. Amazingly, my manual says absolutely
nothing about the subject.

I'd take it down in the basement if it was an electric model but its
gas powered so it must ramain out in the garage where the temperature
will plummet bellow freezing. Afraid the pump will freeze up and
crack. My idea was to fill the pump with 50/50 automotive antifreeze.
Is that the prevailing wisdom?

Brian

My manual recommends RV/Mobile Home water supply line antifreeze.

Butch

Old November 19th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Nov 2006 13:46:01 -0800, "chuckster" wrote:

Lowes, Home Cheapo, Northern, etc. all sell an aerosol can of "storage
anti freeze and conditioner" made for power washers. I would advise
against using windshield washer, or anti freeze because of the reaction
with the "cheap" rubber seal materials the manufactures use now a days.
A can or this stuff costs like $4 and hooks up to the water supply hose
inlet of the pump and all you have to do is press the button and the
pressure blows old water out the pump while adding the anti freeze and
pump conditioner, and it lasts for many "flushings".

The manufacturer recommends winter washer solvent or RV antifreeze.

The aerosol can doesn't have enough volume for many flushings.

I would recommend not wasting $4 on the aerosol.