Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two quick ??s: plug holes, replace floor joist

Greetings,

It seems that expanding foam is the recommended way to plug small
holes.. I have a garage used for misc storage that I'm thinking of
rehabbing. Generally sound, but there are places around the lower sill
where daylight shows through, ditto for along the roofline. Along
lower sill I though laying in screen (to keep rodents, bugs out) then
fiberglass batts, with vapor barrier over and sealed in w/drywall.
Holes are really gaps, anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 - 3/4 inch.

I don't see much info on replacing flooring joists, feel free to point
me in the right direction (yep, tried google already). House is 1900s
farmhouse, not historical material. Some joists have ?dryrot? seem
pretty punky. Joists have wiring through them. I thought I had seen
at one time a tv show that used engineered joists as replacements,
complete with holes for wiring, danged if I remember details or can
even figure how this might be done. Guess the wiring would have to be
pulled first, then re-wired. How else to sister/replace a floor joist
with wiring/holes for plumbing in them?

Thanks!

Major house renovation xrongor Home Repair 2 October 15th 04 02:16 AM
Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 07:20 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 08:10 PM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 05:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 08:18 PM