Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closet Flange above floor

I have a tile file on top of a cement floor sub floor. The closet
flange is about 1/4" off the floor. Does it need to be flushe with the
floor or will this cause problems? And should the flange be secured to
the flooring? If so, what type of screws should I use? I believe the
flange is a brass fitting to a lead pipe...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The connection is not corroded at all. It looks pretty new to me. So
I should drill through the tile and into the subfloor? Should I shim
with would or use mortar?
Thanks!

I wouldn't use wood g. Maybe stack up
stainless washers under each screw hole.
Remember this has to last a looong time.

It's better to have the flange flush, but
I hate to disturb a leaded flange .
Check the space under the toilet to see
that there will be maybe 3/8" to 1/2"
clearance between top of flange and the
toilet clay/porcelain. You need free
space for the wax ring to compress and
adhere properly.

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

I have a tile file on top of a cement floor sub floor. The closet
flange is about 1/4" off the floor. Does it need to be flushe with the
floor or will this cause problems? And should the flange be secured to
the flooring? If so, what type of screws should I use? I believe the
flange is a brass fitting to a lead pipe...

You have to be very careful where a brass flange is
soldered to a lead "closet bend". After 40 years or so,
the leaded connection can get corroded. Scrape the joint
and inspect with a bright light source.

If it looks solid, shim under the flange and drill
for stainless screws into the slab. Do this in a
way that won't stress the solder.

Another way is to remove the brass flange, then
install an expansion flange like:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
(scroll to bottom)
If the lead bend is round and has enough vertical
section these work well.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
So if there is enough space for the wax seal to compress does the
flange still need to be secured to the floor?

The flange is what keeps the toilet from rocking,
unless the bowl is grouted/caulked to the floor.

If the flange moves (with the bowl), the leaded
joint will soon break and then you have a nasty leak in the floor.

So, yes, the flange should be secured.

Speedy Jim wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

on my old toilet: you will be ok if the floor flange is higher if you
look at the toilet from under it and determine adequate clearance to
the floor flange.
and do not use a plastic funnel horn type of wax seal; just use a plain
wax one.
i goofed once and the toilet mysteriously rocked thereafter for a year
until i figured that out.
the flange must be secured to the floor. there are floor flange repair
kits and several options.
also see Wax-Free™ Bowl Gasket and other parts and help at:
www.fluidmaster.com

Damp ? Concrete Floor Dabbler UK diy 9 October 24th 06 01:48 PM
Can't find 3x10 floor heat vents w/1"-wide flange Patrick Coghlan Home Repair 5 January 15th 06 01:56 AM
uneven slightly damp sandstone slab floor - levelling compound/tiles/carpet? tez UK diy 12 November 3rd 04 11:57 AM
Bouncy floor. New beam didn't fix? HerHusband Home Repair 12 October 28th 04 05:27 PM
Toilet closet flange extension ring questions. Plumbers, help! GeekBoy Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 02:21 PM