Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bedroom Sink removal help/advice required

Hi,
I would like to completely remove an unwanted sink from my bedroom of a
new house I have just moved into. I have no plumbing skills, but would
like to try to do the job myself. Could someone advise the step-by-step
process that I should follow to safely remove the sink and make safe
the pipe-work?

Please note, immediately behind the unwanted sink is the partition wall
between the bedroom in question and the bathroom. In fact, if you
imagine the wall not being there, the bathroom sink and the bedroom
sink would be almost 'back-to-back'.

Obviously, when the job is complete, I would like none of the pipework
that was required for the bedroom sink to be left in the bedroom.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Also, you will need to advise
what tools are required to do the job.

Thanks in advance,
Bernard

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

First, find the main cold water shutoff for the entire house or
shutoffs that may exist on the hot and cold lines that serve this area
of the house. Turn off the water and open hot and cold faucets
somewhere that are lower than the area you will be working on to allow
enough water to drain out so the pipes you will work on are empty.

The faucets are disconnected from below. Since you're going to remove
the sink, the easiest way is usually to just disconnect the riser pipes
where they join the stop valves under the sink area. Disconnect the
drain by loosening the nut on top of the trap. Find any bolts, etc
holding the sink from below and remove. Then work the sink free and
lift out. It will have some caulk around it, so it will take some
prying, starting with a plastic putty knife or similar, to get it free.
Remove the drain trap and be aware it will have some water in it.

You now have to deal with what's left. If the area is going to be
hidden, you can just cap off the end of the drain pipe and leave it as
is. If you want to completely remove the pipes and have a regular
wall, then you need to open up the drywall and get inside the wall.
Presuming the drain pipe is plastic, you want to cut it off at a point
so that you can cement a cap on it and have it not interfere with
putting drywall over it. For the hot and cold, which presumably are
copper, you want to use a tubing cutter to cut them off and then you
will need to solder caps on those. Turn the water back on, and check
for leaks.

Minimal tools required:
Bernzomatic torch, solder, flux, emery cloth or pipe brushes
Hacksaw
Tubing cutter
Large channel lock pliers
Adjustable wrench
Screwdrivers

I'd also find a website that goes over how to correctly solder and then
buy a short piece of pipe and a couple cheap fittings to practice on.
Make sure there is nothing easily flammable in the area you will work
on. And fill a 5 gal pail with water just in case, as you'll have the
water shut off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is the bathroom sink a freestanding one, or is it mounted in a vanity with a
cabinet beneath?

sink removal [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 15th 06 02:09 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Blanco sink - create own punch outs? blue Home Repair 8 December 21st 03 06:19 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM