Posted to alt.home.repair
RW RW is offline

Default Broken garage door spring

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

RW wrote:
So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

Location? Double spring? Single spring?

What was quote range?

Six years ago I paid $285 in SoCal for a double.......now I do them
myself

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

RW writes:

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

RW writes:

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Cool site, thanks for the link.

Why does that Bridgeport machine weigh 2400 pounds? That seems excessive,
but then again I don't do metalwork.

And I'm going to guess by the cabbage palms, flat neighborhood and solidly
constructed garage that you are a fellow Florida resident.

Ed
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed" wrote in message

Why does that Bridgeport machine weigh 2400 pounds? That seems excessive,
but then again I don't do metalwork.

Good industrial machines are made from cast iron. They have to be heavily
made to withstand a lot of stress and not flex. You can also put some
rather heavy work on the way to mill and with a cantilever it would be very
stressful on a lesser base. Also, it must be solidly in place and not prone
to tipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

RW writes:

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Cool site, thanks for the link.

Why does that Bridgeport machine weigh 2400 pounds? That seems excessive,
but then again I don't do metalwork.

And I'm going to guess by the cabbage palms, flat neighborhood and solidly
constructed garage that you are a fellow Florida resident.

Ed

Ed-

Why does that Bridgeport machine weigh 2400?

cuz it's a serious tool for serious work

That seems excessive.....

actually that seems just about right........

http://www.bpt.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=56

Large machine tools can easily weigh close to10x that number.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:02:25 -0500, RW wrote:

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

If you are talking about a long spring on each side of the door,
replace it yourself. Its easy, raise door, prop it up with some 2x4s
and replace the sucker while the door is up. Just be sure to use the
the same connection method as before. While you are at it, replace
the other one or your door wont open evenly. If you got one of those
shafts above the door with a wound spring, hire someone. Why do you
ask the price on here. We dont know, call local contractors, choose
the cheapest that offers a warranty, ask for references. Asking
prices on a newsgroup is just plain stupid. For all we know you live
in Europe and need the price in pounds, not dollars.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

About $200 for a torsion spring. Don't know about materials.

You "could" do it youself as there's only a few things that could go
wrong... it's only a spring right? The worst thing is that you lose
your grip as your tightening it and whap yourself in the chin and lose
your lower mandible and have to eat from a straw the rest of your life.

Then there's always death, but that's not as bad as losing your lower
mandible. My opinion though.

HIRE IT OUT, and ask around if the price really bugs you that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

In IL it ranges from 180 to 200. Very dangerous if you are not experienced
in putting one on.

oups.com...