Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default connecting a 75ft hose to my sump pump - will it wear it out?

My sump pump has been emptying into a drain right outside the back of
my house that tends to overflow from the force of the water coming out
of the pipe. I purchased 3 25 ft extension tubes (similar to the tubes
people use for their pool filter) and connected them together so the
water would drain into a remote area of my backyard. It works well and
keeps my patio dry the only thing that concerns me is that the pump
runs for about 2-3 minutes longer every time it fills up to expel the
water than it did when the water was just emptying right outside the
window. Will the extra work the pump is exerting to pump the water
across the yard make it wear out prematurely? The last thing I want to
happen is for this thing to burn out when I'm out of the house. The
ground is pitched slightly downward once the water reaches the outdoors
so I thought that gravity would mitigate the strain but maybe it's the
diameter of the tubes (2") that have more to do with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased 3 25 ft extension tubes (similar to the tubes
people use for their pool filter) and connected them together so the
water would drain into a remote area of my backyard. It works well and
keeps my patio dry the only thing that concerns me is that the pump
runs for about 2-3 minutes longer every time it fills up to expel the
water than it did when the water was just emptying right outside the
window. Will the extra work the pump is exerting to pump the water
across the yard make it wear out prematurely?

Pumps wear from use. The more use, the more wear. How many times a day does
it run? Are the tubes at least the same or larger diameter as the pump
outlet? If so, there is minimal pressure, minimal wear. The pump should be
good for years of use. Good pump can run for thousands of hours.

I'd be less concerned about the wear than having the water drain close to
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

With "2 tubing" I suspect your feeling the pump is running longer is
only subjective. That should be far larger than any sump pump outlet.
If the pump really is running longer, I would be looking for a
restriction somewhere, kink, foreign object. I have an el cheapo sump
pump that pumps 7 ft up and over 100 ft draining in much the same way,
Pipe is 1" buried PVC - no problems. Been that since 1977 and I am
only on my 2nd pump (both around $80 when purchased).

Harry K

Harry K

Goulds Irrigation pump Not Working HELP [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 31st 06 09:47 PM
Newbie Q: sump pump [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 14th 06 08:09 PM
Sump Pump Run-Off Hose SO Home Repair 4 April 13th 05 05:25 PM
Sump pump question. Pradeep Krishna Home Repair 3 September 2nd 03 07:34 PM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 02:59 PM