DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bats in eaves (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182311-bats-eaves.html)

Joe Casey November 12th 06 05:09 AM

Bats in eaves

I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months. I
want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the winter,
or hibernate to caves. I am interested in blocking off their
enterance/exit, and I dont want to kill them. I live in a residential area
of northeast Pennsylvania, and I do not know what kind of bats they are.

Thanks,

Joe

---MIKE--- November 12th 06 12:57 PM

Bats in eaves

Make or buy a few bat houses and mount them on posts or trees near your
house. If they are properly designed and mounted, the bats should move
to them. Check google for information on bat houses. Many years ago I
put up four bat houses to attract them to control mosquitos. For some
reason, I didn't get a single bat. Perhaps I was too far from water.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lawrence November 12th 06 01:31 PM

Bats in eaves

Joe Casey wrote:
I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months. I
want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the winter,
or hibernate to caves.

Getting rid of them is usually a matter of blocking their
entrance/exit. If you want to know if they stay in the winter then you
would either have to wait and see or possibly contact a bat biologist.
If you have year round insects where you live then I bet they will
stay.

Regardless of the exact species of bat you have it will be worth it to
exclude them from your home. Bats roost during the day and feed at
night. Use this information to observe where they are getting in and
then seal it up. Bats are smaller than they look and can squeeze
through amazingly small spaces.

Get out there at dusk and dawn with a big flashlight or binoculars and
find out the exact place they go in and out. Then it is just a matter
of waiting until after dark when they are out feeding. Then you can
set up some work lights, climb up there, and seal up that area by
whatever means neccesary.

Alternatively, you could wait until they migrate if they do so. My
thinking is exclude the bats as soon as possible because I think bats
can do a lot of damage to your attic with the droppings and all. If
they leave during the freeze up then you could fix it in the daylight
hours which can be nice.

We lived in a place with bats one time and occasionally one would get
into the house!! The weapon of choice is the tennis racket. Bats are
freaky man they look really cool up close like a mouse with wings.

Frank November 12th 06 01:48 PM

Bats in eaves

Joe Casey wrote:
I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months. I
want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the winter,
or hibernate to caves. I am interested in blocking off their
enterance/exit, and I dont want to kill them. I live in a residential area
of northeast Pennsylvania, and I do not know what kind of bats they are.

Screen off or block any openings. If you have or put in lights in
attic during day they will avoid coming to roast and you can do work.
Besides droppings, rabies is endemic in bat populations and if
scratched or bitten, you will need rabies shots. Otherwise bats are
useful to control insects.
Frank

nyc kid November 12th 06 03:20 PM

Bats in eaves

"Joe Casey" wrote in message
I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months.
I want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the
winter, or hibernate to caves. I am interested in blocking off their
enterance/exit, and I dont want to kill them. I live in a residential
area of northeast Pennsylvania, and I do not know what kind of bats they
are.

Thanks,

Joe

Bats often winter where they summer. Removing bats is known as 'exclusion'.
It is important to do this as they are kown to carry rabies. A buildup of
dead animals, urine amd excrement in your wall and ceilings voids, is
obviously undesirable.
Google 'bat exclusion' and see sites like http://batcon.org/ as they will
help you with info on diy and finding service providers in your area.

I just placed 3 bat houses on my house in ME according to info I found here
http://www.batworld.org/bcs/bat_houses.html. The bats were in the attic as
long as I can remember, but now it is time for them to go. Major cleanup
coming in the spring. We always used the 'bat-minton racquet' when one
found it's way into the house (they can't 'see' it coming)...

Lar November 13th 06 01:03 AM

Bats in eaves

In article ,
says...
I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months. I
want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the winter,
or hibernate to caves. I am interested in blocking off their
enterance/exit, and I dont want to kill them. I live in a residential area
of northeast Pennsylvania, and I do not know what kind of bats they are.

Thanks,

Joe

Not sure if old stockings will work but have heard they will, but take
flimsy screening or heavy netting and make a 3 foot tube with the
material. Secure it at the opening and let the rest hang down. They
should be able to find their way down the tube but won't get back in.
--
Lar
---- to email get rid of the BUGS!

chuckster November 13th 06 01:25 AM

Bats in eaves

Just beware that bats carry RABIES and they will fight if they have to.
I have "smoked" them out of areas and sealed up the entrance where they
got in. When bats get flying around a room after a wall is opened up,
they look bigger than Rodan when they come at you. I had 2 laborers
(230+ pounds heavily tatooed with criminal records) working for me in
the mid 80's and there was a family of bats living in a wall that we
just opened up. The guys did not believe me when I told them that they
were live bats sleeping, so..... I goosed the bats with a piece of lath
and there were 7 of these critters flying around the room and the 2
guys were so afraid to go back into the house they quit that afternoon.
Hire a professional to evict these bats, if you don't feel comfortable
doing it youself.

Lar wrote:
In article ,
says...

chucks May 13th 18 06:14 PM

Bats in eaves

replying to Joe Casey, chucks wrote:
Stuff the eaves with steel wool. They don't like that and will go somewhere
else

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-165357-.htm