Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter Straps over shingles?

I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and is this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:14:07 AM UTC-4, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and is this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

It's a common practice among shysters that don't know what they are doing
or do know, but don't care because it's fast and they won't be there
when the roof leaks and rots.

Were there no fascia boards along the front? That is where they should
have been screwed into, using a long screw that goes straight back, from
the front lip of the gutter to the back and into the fascia wood. Was
this a real seamless gutter company? Hard to imagine one doing it that
way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:58:43 AM UTC-4, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

You know, I went back and looked at it again. Aside from being totally wrong
to go over the shingles, I don't see how it even really secures the gutters?
It looks like it's just hanging from the back and that it would flop around,
eg the wind could move it up and down, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2018 at 7:14:03 AM, elvis10 wrote:

I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps over the shingles which does not look good. My question
is, was this done correctly and is this a common practice? I have
never seen this before. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

There are a couple of possible reasons for doing this.

1. You have no fascia board behind the gutters or, the fascia board is
badly rotted and would not reliably support the gutters.

2. Your roofing shingles are so old that lifting them to install the
straps would damage them.

This style installation can be quite strong and does meet code in most
jurisdictions, but is kind of ugly. Call the gutter company and ask
why they did it like this and go from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:25:19 AM UTC-4, Dove Tail wrote:
On 5/12/2018 at 7:14:03 AM, elvis10 wrote:

I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps over the shingles which does not look good. My question
is, was this done correctly and is this a common practice? I have
never seen this before. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

There are a couple of possible reasons for doing this.

1. You have no fascia board behind the gutters or, the fascia board is
badly rotted and would not reliably support the gutters.

Even if there are no fascia boards, there has to be framing there
that's part of the roof. The fascia boards just go over that and
the screws that attach gutters normally are long enough that they
go through the fascia boards and into the framing. If something
was wrong there that prevented a normal installation, the gutter
contractor should have informed the homeowner and asked what he
wanted to do.

2. Your roofing shingles are so old that lifting them to install the
straps would damage them.

This style installation can be quite strong and does meet code in most
jurisdictions, but is kind of ugly. Call the gutter company and ask
why they did it like this and go from there.

I guess that would depend on the codes in the actual area in question.
Code may not even address it one way or the other.
I've never seen it done here. It's bad because there is no long term,
reliable way to seal the holes that go through those shingles. It's
the last thing you want in a roof. And it's a good way to wind up
rotting the lower portion of the roof, fascia boards, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2018 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:58:43 AM UTC-4, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

You know, I went back and looked at it again. Aside from being totally wrong
to go over the shingles, I don't see how it even really secures the gutters?
It looks like it's just hanging from the back and that it would flop around,
eg the wind could move it up and down, etc.

You been duped.

Check out photos at:

https://www.a1seamlessguttersmaine.c...m-gutters.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/18 10:58 AM, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building
inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

Why not just call the contractor first and see if he'll come out and fix
it right- including replacing those shingles with the nail holes in them.

Whole lot easier than getting the government involved or going to court;-)

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2018 7:11 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/12/18 10:58 AM, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this
done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building
inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

Why not just call the contractor first and see if he'll come out and fix
it right- including replacing those shingles with the nail holes in them.

Whole lot easier than getting the government involved or going to court;-)

My experience is if they didn't have enough sense to do it right the
first time, they won't have it to correct the second time. I can
understand an oversight or minor error, this isn't one of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 7:11:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/12/18 10:58 AM, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and isĀ* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building
inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

Why not just call the contractor first and see if he'll come out and fix
it right- including replacing those shingles with the nail holes in them.

Whole lot easier than getting the government involved or going to court;-)

--

One reason why would be that anyone dumb enough to do what they did, you don't want doing anything more to your roof. They can't do gutters, which apparently is what they are supposed to know how to do, now you want them to do roofing work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/18 10:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

I hear you.

Best case scenario is that on the day that job was scheduled, the
regular crew (Pete and Jack) called in sick so the contractor sent out
Paco and Jose instead ;-)

--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 7:03:22 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

And I hear you too. Usually before you take other measures, you are
expected to give the other party the opportunity to correct it. This
is an example why it's a good idea to be there, if you can, while the
work is being done and to have a contract that spells out the key parts.
But I can understand how the typical homeowner would not be thinking
about how they are going to attach them. Another good question is how
were the previous gutters attached? I assume they were not hung in that
half-ass method. If that's true, it's another reason the installer is
wrong, they should have informed the homeowner what they were going to
do that's different, especially since it's visible and made sure they
were OK with it. If that roof is relatively new, it's all the more worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:11:17 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/12/18 10:58 AM, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:
I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with
metal straps
over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done
correctly and is* this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ej

No and no.
If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building
inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.

Why not just call the contractor first and see if he'll come out and fix
it right- including replacing those shingles with the nail holes in them.

Whole lot easier than getting the government involved or going to court;-)

This is 2018. The solution is to load several clips for your AR15 rifle.
Then kill the ****er who installed the gutters. Guns are the solution to
EVERYTHING!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

It's a common practice among shysters that don't know what they are doing
or do know, but don't care because it's fast and they won't be there
when the roof leaks and rots.

I got a good laugh out of this comment! Thanks.

--
Tekkie