Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sliding door track on ceramic tile

How can we install a closet sliding door track onto a ceramic tile
floor?
We had our bathroom vinyl floor replaced with ceramic tile. The louver
doors and the bottom track were removed, but now we need to put them
back. (I guess we [and the tiler we hired] should have thought of that
before.)

Is it risky to drill holes in the tile? It would be quite a hassle if
the tiles cracked.
What alternatives ways are there for securing the track? I thought of
using L-brackets from the door frame to secure a strip of wood to where
the track would go, then screwing the track itself to that wood. The
wood strip would probably have to be at least 1/2" thick though, which
would make a tight fit for the height of the actual door.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

It is a simple matter to drill the floor tiles. Much depends on the type of
ceramic tiles you have installed and what is under the tiles, concrete or
wood floor?

"MLD" wrote in message news:O1n5h.107$xD.50@trndny08...

"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
How can we install a closet sliding door track onto a ceramic tile
floor?
We had our bathroom vinyl floor replaced with ceramic tile. The louver
doors and the bottom track were removed, but now we need to put them
back. (I guess we [and the tiler we hired] should have thought of that
before.)

Is it risky to drill holes in the tile? It would be quite a hassle if
the tiles cracked.
What alternatives ways are there for securing the track? I thought of
using L-brackets from the door frame to secure a strip of wood to where
the track would go, then screwing the track itself to that wood. The
wood strip would probably have to be at least 1/2" thick though, which
would make a tight fit for the height of the actual door.

Can you cement it down with construction cements? I'm sure there are
cements on the market that will hold it a good or better than screws.
Do a bit of asking your building supplier.
Jack

To your point. Isn't that how the lower track of sliding glass shower
doors
are installed on bath tubs? I'd go for cement before trying anything
else.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure why everyone's saying to avoid drilling. Drilling tile is very
easy. Just use a scratch awl at the point you want to drill, VERY lightly
tap it with a hammer to crack the glaze at this point -- and drill with a
masonary bit to size.

I've done this many times and haven't cracked a tile yet.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer writes:

Not sure why everyone's saying to avoid drilling. Drilling tile is very
easy.

No. Depends on the tile. Some porcelain tile will dull a carbide bit
before you get a single hole finished, and only diamond bits will work.

Cheap, soft tile, yes, you can drill easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How can we install a closet sliding door track onto a ceramic tile
floor?

Arrange to the right level, and just bed it in caulk.