Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whine in Pipes when outside hose bibs winterized

Anyone have any ideas why my pipes start whining when water's run only
in the winter (when the hose bibs are winterized?) It's a
medium-pitched whine with a little vibration. House is a 6 year old
three level townhouse built by Centex. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have any ideas why my pipes start whining when water's run only
in the winter (when the hose bibs are winterized?) It's a
medium-pitched whine with a little vibration. House is a 6 year old
three level townhouse built by Centex. Thanks.

I've heard similar sounds from vacuum breakers, but can't say if that has anything to do
with your situation...

Posted to alt.home.repair

jmrzx wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

Anyone have any ideas why my pipes start whining when water's run only
in the winter (when the hose bibs are winterized?) It's a
medium-pitched whine with a little vibration. House is a 6 year old
three level townhouse built by Centex. Thanks.

Easy test:
Turn off the supply valve(s) to the toilet tanks.
If that cures the whine, the ballcock valve in a
toilet is worn out.

Certain mfr ballcocks will set up a resonance in the
system when worn out. I'm guessing that the extra
length of piping to the hose bibbs is somehow damping
the oscillation.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried each toilet individually with no
success in eliminating the whine. Did you mean close all the supply
valves at the same time? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Each toilet should have done it. Guess we can rule them out.

You may have a PRV (pressure regulator) on the service.
If street pressure is high, these can whine as they throttle
the flow.

It might look like:
http://www.cashacme.com/eb75.php

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
jmrzx wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It looks like I have a PRV - is it possible that it could have a usage
meter built in? What might reduce the whine if it's the PRV? Thanks
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jmrzx wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

jmrzx wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That may be a tough one, esp if street pressure is very high.

It's possible that simply replacing it would fix it.
Maybe a different brand.
Risk.

Insulation foam on copper pipes R8EDXXX Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 11:56 PM
Soldering Copper Pipes Doug Kanter Home Repair 63 March 29th 05 05:47 AM
Noisy pipes JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 01:06 AM
Replacing old pipes pmr Home Repair 9 December 9th 04 11:24 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM