Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully

11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST
-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully
-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there
-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power
-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener
-dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clear this up for me....
so, when you hit the button it opens fully then comes back down a few
feet?
But, when you hit the remote button it works the way it should?

Posted to alt.home.repair

11-10-06, 12:19pm est
-thanks for the 3 tips
-i have stanley brand and i have torsion springs on the top
-it seems obvious that i better use vise-grips
-like jeff said, i don't want to be an angel
-may use these grips till i find someone to adjust these torsion
springs
-thanks larry, steve & jeff
-you have been a great help
-i appreciate it
-dave

Steve Barker LT wrote:
three things you can do:
1. re-engage the opener with it open. (this would only work with a genie
screw drive)
2. adjust your springs.
3. use a pair of vise grips to hold it open
--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Clear this up for me....
so, when you hit the button it opens fully then comes back down a few
feet?
But, when you hit the remote button it works the way it should?

-When I say "manually open", I mean that i pull the rope to dislodge
the electric-opener. Then i manually push the door up all the way.
then i let go and the door slides down by about couple of feet!
-there is no problem using with the electric opener. i can press button
on the remote or the switch mounted near the door, either way the door
opens and closes fully w/o any problem
-thanks for your interest. i appreciate it.