Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully

11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST
-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully
-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there
-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power
-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener
-dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

So you're saying you're having a hard time keeping it up?
wrote in message
oups.com...
11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST
-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully
-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there
-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power
-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener
-dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

-yes, during the power-outages
-thanks for your interest
-dave
Craven Morehead wrote:
So you're saying you're having a hard time keeping it up?
wrote in message
oups.com...
11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST
-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully
-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there
-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power
-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener
-dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
11-10-06, 9:48am
-Thanks Larry. I appreciate the help
-that is exactly what i thought i needed to get done
-i have not found anyone yet who would do it for me
-couple of people i called, told me that they would be intrested in
coming if i need to replace the door and not simply adjust it

Like Larry said, if your door uses extension springs (one on each side,
running along the tracks.) it's pretty easy to shorten the cables.

Just disconnect the door from the opener and have one person hold it
fully upward while another places a C-clamp or even a psir of Vise-Grip
pliers on one of the tracks next to a roller wheel to keep the door up
there.

The cables should be noticeably slack then, and what you have to do is
detach the ends of both cables where they are connected near the top of
the door opening on each side, reattaching them so they are each a few
inches shorter. You'll probably find that the cable attachment is just a
"tie" which you can easily undo and remake.

If your door uses a torsion spring(s) located across the top of the door
opening, then don't be an angel and rush in where wise men dare to
tread, keep looking for a door company who can come out and adjust it.
You probably don't have the tools and knowledge to take on what could be
a dangerous job.

Good Luck,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds to me as if the door is set about right. It may be a
bit tight if it rests above mid point. The proper spring preload
is there to balance the weight of the door. I like to set them
where the door stands about half way. Finger tip, or least
minimal, pressure to open or to close. This would be true whether
or not you use a power operator.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
oups.com...
11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST
-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully
-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there
-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose
power
-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener
-dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
It sounds to me as if the door is set about right. It may be a
bit tight if it rests above mid point. The proper spring preload
is there to balance the weight of the door. I like to set them
where the door stands about half way. Finger tip, or least
minimal, pressure to open or to close. This would be true whether
or not you use a power operator.

No, a garage door that has proper spring tension should not come down a
couple of feet so that it hits the top of his minivan.

Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
oups.com...