Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat-powered fan for Wood stove

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could take a look at this fan and tell me your
opinion regarding the likelihood that it actually does what it says.

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.as...ept&pcode=9671

I have a Jotul Allagash natural gas-burning stove and I was thinking
about getting this type of fan for it. I know the Jotul has it's own
electrically-powered fan, but I thought if this one that doesn't need
electricity actually worked, it would be great to use that instead. We
recently had a 4-day power outage. . .although I had some heat because
of the gas stove, it would have been nice if I could have moved the air
around a bit. An added bonus is that it costs more than $100 less than
the Jotul blower unit, PLUS I don't have to pay anyone to install this!

I appreciate your help.

Best,

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen these fans and Yes, they do work, but they really don't move
much air at all, I'd guess they move 1/20th the air volume of a
"normal" fan. A $15 box fan pointing at your stove would do a much
better job of circulating air. But again, they don't need any
electricity.

If your goal is to move a little air when there is no electricity, then
this fan will do that. If your goal is to circulate the air in a room,
this will not help much.

Maybe call some stores in your area that sell wood stoves, they may
have some you could see in action. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

$150 will buy a lot of electricity.

If you are concerned with power
outages $150 will buy a lot of batteries
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
Are you wanting to "complement the decor" or heat the friggin house?!
jeeeeeeze, burning wood and worrying about what it looks like.

--
Steve Barker

Worried about decor and thinking about using one of _those_!!?? I
would not like to see the 'decor' that would fit into.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Jotul Allagash natural gas-burning stove and I was thinking
about getting this type of fan for it. I know the Jotul has it's own
electrically-powered fan, but I thought if this one that doesn't need
electricity actually worked, it would be great to use that instead. We
recently had a 4-day power outage. . .although I had some heat because
of the gas stove, it would have been nice if I could have moved the air
around a bit. An added bonus is that it costs more than $100 less than
the Jotul blower unit, PLUS I don't have to pay anyone to install this!

You do realize that the air-mover doesn't have to be anywhere near
the stove to work, right? The best place to put a fan for
moving stove heat around is in the transom of a door to another
room.

And why is the window over a door named the same thing as the
ass-end of a boat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Lesley :

I have a Jotul Allagash natural gas-burning stove and I was thinking
about getting this type of fan for it. I know the Jotul has it's own
electrically-powered fan, but I thought if this one that doesn't need
electricity actually worked, it would be great to use that instead. We
recently had a 4-day power outage. . .although I had some heat because
of the gas stove, it would have been nice if I could have moved the air
around a bit. An added bonus is that it costs more than $100 less than
the Jotul blower unit, PLUS I don't have to pay anyone to install this!

As others have said, the heat-powered one isn't going to be terribly
useful, especially when you really need it to push hard (during a power
outage).

Our wood stove has a built in electric fan, of the 1/12 HP variety.
Given the layout of the house, it can heat the whole place _if_
the fan is operational.

When the power dies, we run the fan off a 400W inverter and a battery
from a recently deceased vehicle. That size inverter is available for
under $50 these days.

The combo is capable of running the fan full blast for several days,
and can be used to provide power for other things. Like a CF
lightbulb and the radio. TV and dish receiver too if we're
feeling really bored ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:13:08 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Lesley :

[...]

Of course, if you really want to use wood-heat to heat the
whole house without power, you need to give your fire
marshal fits, and cut vent holes in the ceiling above the
stove and in other strategic places, thus creating convection
currents around the house.

If you do that, it's a good idea to have closable grates
put in so that the vents are only open when you DO need
to heat the house that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to jackson :

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
I've seen these fans and Yes, they do work, but they really don't move
much air at all, I'd guess they move 1/20th the air volume of a
"normal" fan. A $15 box fan pointing at your stove would do a much
better job of circulating air. But again, they don't need any
electricity.

If your goal is to move a little air when there is no electricity, then
this fan will do that. If your goal is to circulate the air in a room,
this will not help much.

I figured as much. When something sounds too good to be true, it
usually is. Anyway, I guess I'll just cough up the $300+ to have the
blower unit installed. I don't want to use a regular "box" fan because
it wouldn't complement the decor. That's why it was the blower unit or
the heat-powered fan---those were my 2 choices.

What does work and on low power consumption is those little high CFM 12V
computer fans....

"high CFM" in terms of computer fans is, like, 15-25 CFM. Which isn't
going to do anything useful compared to a proper blower of at least
100CFM and preferably more.

I have some 8" "muffin" fans that'd work pushing 200CFM. But, that's
a lot of amps at 12V. [They're actually 120VAC]. And they're quite
loud (off large scale computer-room gear where it doesn't matter
much).

For the most part, heating anything larger than a single smallish room,
a decently sized 120VAC blower running off an inverter would be the
most cost-effective solution.

[We can easily heat our entire house - two story, 2200 square feet,
"open concept", with a single woodstove and an inverter powering the
woodstove's blower. I think the blower is around 200CFM. We still
have the problem of too much heat in the upper floor tho - need another
fan to control that. In a closed concept floorplan, it'd be much more
difficult.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Heat Pump confusion [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 22nd 05 12:41 PM
prog. therm. and heat pump questions Russell Coleman Home Repair 63 December 20th 05 01:21 AM
An air-soil solar sub-basement heat battery [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 15th 05 12:50 AM
heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 02:50 PM