Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

Old November 7th 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.
Old November 7th 06, 05:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , 46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

High-efficiency units need fan-forced exhaust because the exhaust temperature
is too low for exhaust gases to be adequately removed by convection alone.

--
Regards,

Old November 7th 06, 05:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.

As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run
sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to
push the combustion products outside.

Capice?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old November 7th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

http://www.ho****er.com/products/residential/gas.html

Called a Power Vent heater (or you might have a Direct Vent).
Instead of having a chimney, the draft blower sends the
combustion gases out the side of the house.

Not needing a chimney, they can be located more
conveniently.
Old November 7th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer
tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard
in new construction so count yourself lucky.