DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181823-why-does-my-hot-water-heater-have-blower-top.html)

46erjoe November 7th 06 05:01 PM

Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

Doug Miller November 7th 06 05:13 PM

In article , 46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

High-efficiency units need fan-forced exhaust because the exhaust temperature
is too low for exhaust gases to be adequately removed by convection alone.

--
Regards,

Jeff Wisnia November 7th 06 05:14 PM

46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.

As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run
sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to
push the combustion products outside.

Capice?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Speedy Jim November 7th 06 05:17 PM

46erjoe wrote:

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

http://www.ho****er.com/products/residential/gas.html

Called a Power Vent heater (or you might have a Direct Vent).
Instead of having a chimney, the draft blower sends the
combustion gases out the side of the house.

Not needing a chimney, they can be located more
conveniently.

Jay Stootzmann November 7th 06 05:48 PM

Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer
tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard
in new construction so count yourself lucky.

Hnkclinical October 23rd 20 06:15 AM

Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

What will happen if my blower is not working. Should I unplug it until I order new one

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

Retirednoguilt[_3_] October 23rd 20 03:45 PM

Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

You're at tremendous risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would turn off the gas supply to the water heater immediately and get the unit serviced (if feasible) or replaced today. Meanwhile, you can go a day or two without washing clothes or taking a shower. Dishes can be washed in the sink with cold water unless someone is very ill with a highly communicable disease, in which case, buy a small supply of disposable paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

trader_4 October 23rd 20 03:55 PM

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 10:45:11 AM UTC-4, Retirednoguilt wrote:
You're at tremendous risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would turn off the gas supply to the water heater immediately and get the unit serviced (if feasible) or replaced today. Meanwhile, you can go a day or two without washing clothes or taking a shower. Dishes can be washed in the sink with cold water unless someone is very ill with a highly communicable disease, in which case, buy a small supply of disposable paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

I agree, it's the exhaust blower and if it's not working, I would turn off
the water heater until it can be replaced. I would think they must have an
interlock of some kind there to prevent it from firing if the blower fails.
If it doesn't have proper airflow it will generate CO.

Clare Snyder October 23rd 20 06:25 PM

Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 05:15:02 +0000, Hnkclinical
wrote:

What will happen if my blower is not working. Should I unplug it until I order new one

Yes. the blower purges the exhaust - without it you risk carbon
monoxife poisoning.