Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Stoppiing leak in plastic plumbing pipe

I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that are
located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the leak
without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes
that are located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to
stop the leak without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this
would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

The only answer I know is to cut out the leaking part and replace it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that
are located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the
leak without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

Plumbing though, does mean a lot of things, such as drains and supply lines
with pressure.

You may get away with some sealer on a drain, but not on a supply
Sometimes you just have to do the job right. Anything less may result in a
worse leak that usually happens when you are away for the weekend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that
are located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the
leak without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

PVC pipe is glued with a solvent that actually dissolves the surface. If
the leak is small and you can get it dry, you might try putting some primer
and glue around the joint. I haven't tried this and would probably not do
it myself (fearing that it will just make it worse), but it is worth a try
if you can't cut it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:34:37 -0800, "Bob"
wrotF:

I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that are
located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the leak
without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

I had the same problem with a toilet drain under the 1st floor and in
the basement. I found that Home Depot carries a special black plumbers
tape ... it looks like electrical tape, that stretches and adheres to
itself.

I dried the pipe thoroughly, then wrapped the pipe tightly with all
the tape on the spool, about 6' of it. That was 3 months ago. So far,
it's still dry. But I don't know if this is a long-term solution.

I tried silicone sealer first, but the water seemed to leak under it
and I had to pull it all off. So I wouldn't recommend that route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that

are
located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the leak
without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this would be
most appreciated.

If you can somehow create a vacuum in the pipe, it will
suck PVC cement applied to the leak into the leak and
may seal it. Get it dry first. This has worked for me on
low pressure leaks. YMMV.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes
that are located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to
stop the leak without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this
would be most appreciated.

Plumbing though, does mean a lot of things, such as drains and supply
lines with pressure.

You may get away with some sealer on a drain, but not on a supply
Sometimes you just have to do the job right. Anything less may result
in a worse leak that usually happens when you are away for the
weekend.

Agreed, ONLY on drain. I've tossed 100% silicone on tiny ones absolutely
making sure the drain did not get used overnight. Then, on black pipe, a
dab of roofing cement has worked :-) This is cheating with a hack twist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes
that are located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to
stop the leak without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Any suggestions(plumbers goop,etc) on how to successfully do this
would be most appreciated.

Plumbing though, does mean a lot of things, such as drains and supply
lines with pressure.

You may get away with some sealer on a drain, but not on a supply
Sometimes you just have to do the job right. Anything less may result
in a worse leak that usually happens when you are away for the
weekend.

Good point. I had assumed it was a pressure pipe, but it may not be.

As for those who have suggested methods to fix a pressure pipe, I would
not trust one inside a wall or anywhere a leak would be a problem. It is
just too easy to replace it properly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a small leak at a glued connection of two pvc plumbing pipes that are
located horizontally under my kitchen sink. I would like to stop the leak
without having to take apart the pipes,etc,etc.

Duct tape and a couple of hose clamps will work for
a two week camping event. Dunno about long term
though. Why the phobia about cutting into
the pipe?