Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waht is the Work area size for in front of Meter Panel (PG&E Green Book)

Does anyone know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front of a
residential Meter Panel?

Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to build a platform to
get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though I need to know
how big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"? Though don't
remember which direction. My Contractor Friends that do commercial say its
42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains.

Any info would be great.

Thank you!

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
m...

Does anyone know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front of

residential Meter Panel?

Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to build a platform

get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though I need to know
how big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"? Though don't
remember which direction. My Contractor Friends that do commercial say

its
42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains.

If there is any requirement or standard, it in
the building code for your locality. The building
permits office can tell you authoritatively.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to
work area etc.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf"Scott Townsend" wrote in digy.com... Does anyone know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front ofa residential Meter Panel? Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to build a platformto get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though I need to knowhow big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"? Though don'tremember which direction. My Contractor Friends that do commercial say its42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains. Any info would be great. Thank you! Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, let's try this again.....

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to
work area etc.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf"BETA-32" wrote in ...I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it relatedto work area etc.http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf"Scott Townsend" wrote rodigy.com... Does anyoneknow off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front ofa residentialMeter Panel? Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to builda platformto get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though Ineed to knowhow big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"?Though don'tremember which direction. My Contractor Friends that docommercial say its42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains.Any info would be great. Thank you! Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

For some reason, I can't seem to get the link to show up correctly. Here's
another try:

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to
work area etc.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/busines...lecSvc2005.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is the one I found from my Local PGE Green book reference:
http://www.pge.com/docs/pdfs/custome...rements/07.pdf

On page 7-9 there is something about if the Meter is mounted above a Cement
pad? what is that all about?

Mine is mounted to the side of the house, though we were going to extend the
cement driveway around the corner of the house to have a work space for the
meter.

Do I fall in to the category for the 42" since its above a cement pad?
seems a bit odd to me. I've already started digging the 36" deep clearance
for the footing.
"BETA-32" wrote in message
I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related
to work area etc.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf"Scott
Townsend" wrote in
digy.com... Does anyone
know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front ofa
residential Meter Panel? Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I
need to build a platformto get it to the 6' to the center of the meter
socket. Though I need to knowhow big to make the platform. Seems like I
heard 30"x36"? Though don'tremember which direction. My Contractor
Friends that do commercial say its42", though I think that is for
Commercial meter mains. Any info would be great. Thank you! Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:44:58 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
om...

Does anyone know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front of

residential Meter Panel?

Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to build a platform

get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though I need to know
how big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"? Though don't
remember which direction. My Contractor Friends that do commercial say

its
42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains.

Meter panel, or service panel?

If it's the meter, isn't that the power
company's problem? If it's the
service panel, I'm pretty sure
that NEC wants a 3' deep space,
a minimum of 6'6" high, and
30" wide or as wide as the panel.

Assuming the same rules apply to
meters, and that you measure the
clear space from in FRONT of
the meter, that puts your platform
pretty near 4' out from the building,
anyway. Why isn't your meter at
ground level, anyway?

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Goedjn wrote:

Meter panel, or service panel?

If it's the meter, isn't that the power
company's problem? If it's the
service panel, I'm pretty sure
that NEC wants a 3' deep space,
a minimum of 6'6" high, and
30" wide or as wide as the panel.

Chances are the meter panel and service panel are the same. That's the
custom in PG&E's service territory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume you already thought of this, but have you tried calling PSE&G and
asking them? You could probably describe the present setup and ask what, if
anything, would need to be changed.

If you don't want to tip them off to any unnecessary issues, you could
probably not give your address. Or, you could say you are considering
buying a property and blah, blah, blah, but say since you haven't offered to
buy it yet you would rather not give out that person's address. Or maybe
just ask where you can find that type of information -- if it's written
anywhere that you can read.

t...