DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181759-lift-cable-came-off-garage-door-how-do-i-rewind-cables-back-o-two-end-pullys.html)

kell November 7th 06 06:31 AM

lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys?

I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell

Tim Fischer November 7th 06 07:25 AM

lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys?

Call a door guy. No, really. Those torsion springs can be incredibly
dangerous to tension.

I do my own plumbing, electrical, virtually all types of home improvement.
I've fixed my own appliances. I even moved a gas line once. I won't touch
the garage door springs.

-Tim

BobK207 November 7th 06 07:44 AM

kell wrote:
I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell

Kell-

Here are some comments lifted from replies to this sort of question in
the past

Unless you are very handy, very careful, and very gutsy, most folks on

this newsgroup, including me, will emphatically warn you NOT to do this
yourself.

But, if you insist, at least go here and study, study, study before you
start:

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

The website he mentions is very good.......I am very handy, very
careful and very gutsy but I re-read the website info whenever I go to
fix a torsion spring door system that is misbehaving.

I've done torsion spring adjustments & replacments on my own
doors......I've even re-set a door where the bottom panel had jumped
the trck & "folded back" onto the rest of the door.

You've got to be VERY CAREFUL...if you don't understand the mechanism &
the info contained in the website you'll be better off not attempting
the repair yourself.

You've got to be alert, rested & have a fair amount of upper body &
grip strength; if this thing gets away from you, it can REALLY hurt
you!

I've done the simplier stuff alone but with the "foldeed door" my 20
year old son supplied a much needed second pair of hands & extra
muscle.

another reply from the other time

I suggest you pay for the repair by a competent professional. Watch

him closely and maybe you will be able to attempt it yourself the next
time.

If at all in doubt get a pro to do it for you or have someone dial 91
when you start.

cheers
Bob

DAC November 7th 06 01:43 PM

lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys?

Ya know I used to think that anyone could fix garage doors and truely
thought it wasn't that big a deal. HOWEVER yesterday I went over to
the neighbors house, and helped him with his door...and was pretty
shocked to see a huge gash in the ceiling.

Well being of the curious type...I asked what happened...and he said
the cable came off the garage door. After talking with him more, I
found out removed the bottom roller bracket while it was under tension.
You guessed it...all hell broke loose and the ceiling now has a hole
in it. Man I would of hated to have been there when that happened.

I used to advocate to anyone to fix their own...no more. DAGS and
determine if you have the skills necessary. Look for your model's
owners manual, if you can't fine it, look for one that in the same
family and you can determine if you have the skills necessary to re-set
the door. By the way...no you don't just push the door up and end up
with a working door.

Seriously I wish you the best, and for gods sake please be careful.

DAC

Doug Miller November 7th 06 02:52 PM

In article .com, "kell" wrote:
I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell

The best toolkit for this job is the Yellow Pages and a MasterCard.

Seriously.

Unless you know *exactly* what you're doing -- and, no offense meant, you
don't, or you would just do it, instead of asking here -- this can be *very*
dangerous.

Call a garage door pro. Please.

--
Regards,

Pete C. November 7th 06 03:37 PM

kell wrote:

I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell

As others have said, call a garage door service company. The torsion
spring type doors in particular are very very easy to seriously injure
your self working on. I fixed mine myself, but I was extremely careful
and didn't enjoy it one bit. Working the tensioning bars while standing
on a ladder feels a bit like juggling hand grenades with loose pins just
waiting for one to go off.

Pete C.

November 7th 06 09:33 PM

lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables backo the two end pullys?

I read the info at this site, talked with one of the suppliers he
recommended in Atlanta, met him at a shopping mall, bought and installed
the springs all in one day. All I needed to purchase was the pair of
winding rods, which I needed anyway since I had just bought three
sectional doors for my new shop that I was about to install. The
repair of the first door, and the installation of the next three
couldn't have gone more smoothly. A helper might have been beneficial,
but not necessary.