Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem)

In the last several days my thermostat and furnance don't seem to be
""talking"" to each other properly.

It seems that when I leave my thermostat alone it activates the
furnance to go on when called upon. If I want to do a manual override
on the thermostat it doesnt activate the furnace at all.

The contact points on the control (in furnace) do seem greasy but is
that enough to have my heating system behave in this way?

Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

jack posted for all of us...

In the last several days my thermostat and furnance don't seem to be
""talking"" to each other properly.

It seems that when I leave my thermostat alone it activates the
furnance to go on when called upon. If I want to do a manual override
on the thermostat it doesnt activate the furnace at all.

The contact points on the control (in furnace) do seem greasy but is
that enough to have my heating system behave in this way?

Jack

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be just as easy to post the fix as it would to post "answered
already, do your own research". Thx for the tip...

Tekkie® wrote:
jack posted for all of us...

In the last several days my thermostat and furnance don't seem to be
""talking"" to each other properly.

It seems that when I leave my thermostat alone it activates the
furnance to go on when called upon. If I want to do a manual override
on the thermostat it doesnt activate the furnace at all.

The contact points on the control (in furnace) do seem greasy but is
that enough to have my heating system behave in this way?

Jack

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

duradrinx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ma-165203-.htm
:
I really hate to bump up a very old post. But I am having this exact
issue.

I had replaced my old mercury thermostat and shortly after this started
happening to me. I had the furnace looked at 3 times, 2 differant
companies. All three techs told me it has to be the thermostat. Well
after trying 2 more thermostats, differant manufacturers. Nothing has
changed.

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"duradrinx" wrote in message
om...
duradrinx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ma-165203-.htm
:
I really hate to bump up a very old post. But I am having this exact
issue.

I had replaced my old mercury thermostat and shortly after this started
happening to me. I had the furnace looked at 3 times, 2 differant
companies. All three techs told me it has to be the thermostat. Well
after trying 2 more thermostats, differant manufacturers. Nothing has
changed.

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I suggest you put back the old thermostat.

But one "clue" might be found by asking yourself how the thermostat gets the
power (I ASSume it is one of those electronic gadgets with a display.)

The old mercury thermostats are near idiot proof. They can even work on
"milivolt" system where the power to turn on the gas valve comes from a
thermopyle soaking in the pilot flame. If it just calls for heat it only
needs 2 wires. If it allow you to turn the fan on it only requires 3
wires. If there is an A/C with the furnace it only requires 1 more wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 9:12*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"duradrinx" wrote in message

om... duradrinx had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ox-Furnace-Mod...
:
[...]

Forget about power or the furnace or anything else. If the furnace
always comes on as it should when the thermostat is left in the run
program mode and only fails to come on when you override it, then it's
either a bad thermostat or operator error. Also, the thermostat and
the furnace don't "talk to each other". The thermostat is just a
couple of switches that close to activate the furnace or just blower
seperately, etc. So, if that switch is closing in the "run program
mode", but not when you override it, it's only the two above
possibilities.