Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Instant Hot Water Dispenser No Longer Hot!

My Insinkerator Hot-1 Instant Hot Water Dispenser now has only cold
water coming out of it. We've had it about three years with no
trouble. Is this the typical lifespan or is this a common problem with
an easy solution or do I have to take it out and get a new one?

Thanks!!

Misty, who wants hot tea in cold weather

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Nov 2006 23:21:57 -0800, "Soapie0"
wrote:

My Insinkerator Hot-1 Instant Hot Water Dispenser now has only cold
water coming out of it. We've had it about three years with no
trouble. Is this the typical lifespan or is this a common problem with
an easy solution or do I have to take it out and get a new one?

Thanks!!

Misty, who wants hot tea in cold weather

First step is to make sure the unit is still getting power. The unit
is usally plugged into an outlet under the sink. Plug in a lamp or
radio and make sure the outlet is still working. If not, look for a
reset button on the outlet (it's usually a GFCI protected outlet). If
that doesn't help, or there isn't a reset button, check the circuit
breaker or fuse for that circuit. Sometimes the reset button is on a
nearby outlet, not the one the unit is plugged into.

If the outlet has power, your dispensor has probably failed. There is
a thermal safety fuse inside the unit, but I don't believe it is user
serviceable.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Soapie0" wrote in message
ups.com...
My Insinkerator Hot-1 Instant Hot Water Dispenser now has only cold
water coming out of it. We've had it about three years with no
trouble. Is this the typical lifespan or is this a common problem with
an easy solution or do I have to take it out and get a new one?

Thanks!!

Misty, who wants hot tea in cold weather

As suggested check for a reset button. A few years ago a friend asked me to
check her instant hot water dispenser. It had tripped on overload, but
there was no reset button. It had to be reset by a factory authorized
repair person. I called the factory and they had a kit available to be
installed at no cost to make the unit resetable by the consumer. I don't
recall the brand of her unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That depends on the user......

The "Tank box" unit comes apart without a big hassle.

I replaced the thermal fuse on our Insinkerator hot water dispenser a
couple of years ago when it died of old age. It's just an axial lead
component about the size of a 1/2 watt carbon film resistor. I bought a
new one in the right temperatire range at Rat Shack for a buck and a half:

http://tinyurl.com/ymydlm

If Misty can't tackle that kind of work herself she might have a friend
who could.

'Course it might also be the tank heater itself which has failed, and
that's sealed inside the tank assembly. About 15 years ago I was able to
buy a replacement tank/heater for the hot water dispenser in our last
home for about a quarter of the price of a whole new unit, I doubt if
things are still that user friendly nowadays. G

Jeff

HTH,

Paul

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Jeff's advice. I have an Insinkerator of similar age and
it also had a high temp thermal fuse that failed, just after the
warranty had expired. It's easy to diagnose.

I got a replacement from I think Insinkerator or someone they directed
me to. The replacement one is a different design and installs
slightly different, leading me to believe this is a known design flaw.
Which means you would think they would just send you a replacement for
free, but I think I paid about $10 for it, including shipping.

The main thing is, if it's not leaking, the cost to repair it whether
the above, a heating element, etc, should be worthwhile. The main
terminal failure mode is when it leaks.