Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door knob -- can't replace!

I need to replace my bedroom door knob with a new one.

I went to the hardware store and bought a Kwikset that claimed to fit
all doors. It probably does if you know what you are doing.

The "insides" of the existing knob appear to be in the door for keeps.
I can't remove it. I can remove both knobs from both sides of the door,
but the insides -- I guess the "latch" appears to have been factory
installed or something. Where it comes through the edge of the door it
is round with no screws to hold it in the door.

So, since I can't remove the insides, I thought I would just leave them
and install the new knobs. But the insides of the old are square and
the new Kwikset is curved. Asked the hardware people and they said I
would have to pound out the old insides, but that appears impossible.

Here's a web site with a pix of a similar set to what I have:
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...hp?p_ref=18401

So, any suggestions?
tina

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

See those raised sections that look like barbs on the plastic part of
the latch cylinder? If you've removed everything inside the large
bored hole though the face of the door, those barbs are what is holding
the latch in place. Press a block of wood up against the innermost end
of the latch and give it a rap with a hammer - it should pop right out.
If the latch has been painted over the paint will act as a glue, so
you should use a razor knife to trace around the edge to free up the
latch before hitting it with the block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

See those raised sections that look like barbs on the plastic part of
the latch cylinder? If you've removed everything inside the large
bored hole though the face of the door, those barbs are what is holding
the latch in place. Press a block of wood up against the innermost end
of the latch and give it a rap with a hammer - it should pop right out.
If the latch has been painted over the paint will act as a glue, so
you should use a razor knife to trace around the edge to free up the
latch before hitting it with the block.

I didn't see what you mentioned, but I guess I got brave enough to hit
hard enough. I wedged the end of a cheap screwdriver into the door and
against the back of the latch and smacked it hard with my open hand, it
moved a fraction of an inch, which encouraged me.

I smacked a few more times and it popped out. Putting the new one in
was the reverse. Lock is now installed. Thanks again.
t.