DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181546-ladder-stabilizer-extension-ladder-question.html)

Robert11 November 5th 06 02:10 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

Hi,

Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:

Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?

Any caveats or gotchas when using ?

Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?

Have a 16' Werner, and even at that relatively low height, it gets a bit
scarry and
wobbly up there.

Thanks,
Bob

Phisherman November 5th 06 02:42 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:10:25 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:

Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?

Any caveats or gotchas when using ?

Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?

Have a 16' Werner, and even at that relatively low height, it gets a bit
scarry and
wobbly up there.

Thanks,
Bob

Get someone to hold the bottom of the ladder, the larger the person,
the better. Take the time to inspect your ladder for damage, check
the ladder for the proper angle, feet securely in place, etc.
Practicing ladder safety goes a long way. I use a 28-foot extension
ladder without stabilizers.

DT November 5th 06 02:51 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

In article ,
says...

Hi,

Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot...

Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?

I really like my Ladder Max. It is one of few (or maybe the only one), that is
designed and rated to rest on the roof also. This lets you get up higher, or
access the roof without leaning the ladder against the gutters. It is available
online, I haven't seen it at any stores.

http://www.ladder-max.com/

--
Dennis

RicodJour November 5th 06 06:38 PM

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:

Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?

Any caveats or gotchas when using ?

Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?

Have a 16' Werner, and even at that relatively low height, it gets a bit
scarry and
wobbly up there.

If a relatively short ladder like that is wobbly, then you might have a
lightweight "homeowner's" ladder or you're a big guy. A ladder with a
higher rating is much stiffer and less scary. Yes, it's heavier and
more expensive, but there are always trade offs.

The ladder stabilizer helps with bridging windows, reaching onto a roof
and giving a wider, more stable stance at the top. It won't help with
wobbly/bouncy.

John JJ November 5th 06 10:21 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:10:25 -0500, "Robert11" wrote:

I too have a Werner ladder and never feel comfortable each time I use it. My
main worry is the ladder mover sideways, if the ground is not even and even if
the ground is even, it will move sideway if I try to out stretch on either side
of the ladder. Last year as I watched my contractor repaired the roof, gutters
and paints the exterior of the house, I am convinced so I bought a Werner's
ladder stabilizes. There are two types available, one more expensive quick
removable type and the cheaper one bolt on, which I paid about $21 at HD.

I believe the $21 was well spend and a cheap insurance against permanent
disables.

kdugan628 December 20th 09 05:33 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

kdugan628 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...on-163227-.htm
:
Wow, I know that this is an old discussion, but I found it today while
searching for safety equipment, and figured I'd share what we use at our
company. We're currently using stablebase stabilizers, and we've been very
happy with them. Like the ladder-max, I don't think they sell them in
stores, but we were able to order through the stablebase website or by
calling the company. Their website is www.stablebaseusa.com

RicodJour December 20th 09 05:53 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

On Dec 20, 11:33*am,
(kdugan628) wrote:
kdugan628 had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Ladder-Stabilizer-For-...
*:
Wow, I know that this is an old discussion, but I found it today while
searching for safety equipment, and figured I'd share what we use at our
company. We're currently using stablebase stabilizers, and we've been very
happy with them. Like the ladder-max, I don't think they sell them in
stores, but we were able to order through the stablebase website or by
calling the company. Their website iswww.stablebaseusa.com

Why is it that such Johnny-come-lately recommendation posts are always
made by people that have no posting history at all? Hmmmm...

Stormin Mormon December 20th 09 06:06 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

And posting from Sucko.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Dec 20, 11:33 am,

tom December 20th 09 08:25 PM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

"kdugan628" wrote in message
roups.com...
Their website is www.stablebaseusa.xxx

Here's what I got from the site:

Product: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010
Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home x64 Edition Service Pack 2
(build 6002)
Notifications:
Important event: 12/20/2009 1:21:51 PM C:\...\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
(PID: 5828): Loading object , containing Trojan program Trojan.JS.Agent.axe.
Denied.

Smitty Two December 21st 09 02:23 AM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

In article s.com,
(kdugan628) wrote:

Wow, I know that this is an old discussion

True. And here's some old information that you apparently missed. The
STUCCO site is nothing but a scam/spam portal. This is USENET. Look it
up. You are NOT welcome to post here from any web portal, most
especially the suck-o people, and *possibly* excepting the mega-******
site named after a rather large number.

willshak January 4th 10 03:34 AM

kdugan628 wrote the following:
kdugan628 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...on-163227-.htm
:
Wow, I know that this is an old discussion, but I found it today while
searching for safety equipment, and figured I'd share what we use at our
company. We're currently using stablebase stabilizers, and we've been very
happy with them. Like the ladder-max, I don't think they sell them in
stores, but we were able to order through the stablebase website or by
calling the company. Their website is www.stablebaseusa.com

You can get them in the same place I got mine Home Depot.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

frank trebec October 17th 14 11:44 PM

replying to Robert11, frank trebec wrote:
rgsros wrote:

Hi,
Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:
Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?
Any caveats or gotchas when using ?
Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?
Have a 16' Werner, and even at that relatively low height, it gets a bit
scarry and
wobbly up there.
Thanks,
Bob

to all the daring people out there that use extension ladders. we make
devices that take the daring out of ladder use and instill confidence
enjoy frank

Tony Hwang October 18th 14 12:43 AM

rgsros wrote:

Hi,
Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:
Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?
Any caveats or gotchas when using ?
Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?
Have a 16' Werner, and even at that relatively low height, it gets a
bit scarry and
wobbly up there.
Thanks,
Bob

to all the daring people out there that use extension ladders. we make
devices that take the daring out of ladder use and instill confidence
enjoy frank

Hi,
I used 32' extension pro quality Al. ladder painting 2 story house once
without stabilizer. No matter what, if one is not safety conscious at
all times that is accident in waiting.
I retired from a career where safety engineer could fire one of us on
the spot if we do not follow safety rules. There is no such thing as too
much safety. Time to hang X-mas lights?

Bob F October 18th 14 06:39 AM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

Tony Hwang wrote:

Ummmm. You are responding to a moron spammer whao couldn't even remember to post
the address he was spamming.

micky October 18th 14 07:11 AM

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question

rgsros wrote:

Hi,
Regarding those "Ladder Stabilizers" for extension ladders that
I've seen in the Hardware stores and also at Home Depot:
Sounds like a good idea.
Is it ?

I think so. Yes, you still have to pay attention, and not lean far
from center. And try not to break 2nd floor windows.

I borrowed an aluminum extension ladder and when I returned the ladder,
I left the U-shaped thing on. My friend returned it to me. Didnt' want
it. OTOH, he's the proper weight for his height, maybe 160, very
nimble, in college used to run a 4:10 mile, and was in great shape at
age 67. (Now he's 77 and starting to feel it a little, though he works
just as hard.)

Any caveats or gotchas when using ?

They work best with windows that are narrower than they are.

Also, is there one brand or type that is "better" than the others ?

I don't know. I found mine in the trash, and I don't know what brand it
is. This was when I found out that neither HD nor Lowes sells square
U-bolts. But Ace Hardware has 16 sizes.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 18th 14 01:55 PM

On 10/17/2014 6:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I used 32' extension pro quality Al. ladder painting 2 story house once
without stabilizer. No matter what, if one is not safety conscious at
all times that is accident in waiting.
I retired from a career where safety engineer could fire one of us on
the spot if we do not follow safety rules. There is no such thing as too
much safety. Time to hang X-mas lights?

Nationally renowned safety officer
Clark Griswold demonstrates roof
safety:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P93Fi...?v=P93Fi0bQaI4

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 18th 14 02:07 PM

On 10/18/2014 12:39 AM, Bob F wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Ummmm. You are responding to a moron spammer whao couldn't even remember to post
the address he was spamming.

And the sequel to the safety lecture by
Clark Griswold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjZWav-LIns

Please note the participation by other company
members who contribute to safety.

--
..
Christopher A. Young