Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a replacement spring for a mortise lock

I have a mortise lock and recently the dead bolt part will slide out without
turning the cylinder lock. This will cause the bolt to be stucked on the
dummy side of the double door and the door won't open.

I took it apart and found the problem. There is a spring/hinge thingie that
is broken...here is a picture of where it should be:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/P1000485.JPG

If you look at the full size image I have drawn a red line where the hinge
used to be connected and now it is broken. I then took the hinge apart and
this is what it looks like:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...906/spring.jpg

Is there a replacement part for this? Is this a genetic part I can order?
I put everything back then took the entire mortise to a local locksmith and
described the problem to him and he said I need to replace the entire
mortise which will be a special order and $135.00. I said it is only a
hinge and he told me the mortise lock are made to be replaced in whole and
not in part and I should not even try to fix it if I take it apart I will
just "hurt" the internal mechanism. Really?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I would take it to a good local locksmith.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

And I would call around first. Start the conversation like this.

I need a ten cent spring and I'm willing to pay $20 for it. I just
need the spring - I'll replace it myself. Can you help me out?

I'm sure you could track one down on the internet, but it'd be tough to
know you're getting exactly (or close-enoughly) the spring you need
without comparing them side by side.

You could also try making one yourself. Take a suitably sized spring
and heat it up (anneal it) so you can work it. Form it into the shape
you need, heat it back up and quench it to temper it. It's a
*******ized technique, but it should work and it's easier than starting
from scratch. Here's the correct way:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html
and a Google search:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...o+make+springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a mortise lock and recently the dead bolt part will slide out
without turning the cylinder lock. This will cause the bolt to be stucked
on the dummy side of the double door and the door won't open.

I took it apart and found the problem. There is a spring/hinge thingie
that is broken...here is a picture of where it should be:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/P1000485.JPG

I can get you one for $135.

I believe that is a form of a torsion spring. You may find something
similar in a good hardware store, or a similar sized one someplace. I've
seen springs of that style, but right now I can't recall where. You can
also buy something called "music wire" at a hobby shop and form your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The locksmith is right. Very few people will work on old mortise
locks. There are no parts available, manufacturers have changed
their mechanisms, and if someone spends much time on one, the cost
quickly exceeds a new one.

We have several hundred Corbin "green case" locksets. No parts
available. Over $150 per unit.. Falcon here we come.

If you truly want to salvage your lock, go to a local gunsmith.
He will be much more prepared to make an odd spring.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:

If you truly want to salvage your lock, go to a local gunsmith.
He will be much more prepared to make an odd spring.

I hope that advice doesn't backfire on him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MC

I would take it to a good local locksmith.

And I would call around first. Start the conversation like this.

I need a ten cent spring and I'm willing to pay $20 for it. I just
need the spring - I'll replace it myself. Can you help me out?

The previous advice was sound: TAKE the lock out of the door and bring it
to a good locksmith. I have often taken locks into a locksmith (one I took
an old trunk to have the lock picked). If it's a larger operation, you
will have an owner who has "done everything" and usually hangs out in the
office until there is a lot of outside business or to help out a new guy.

I'm sure you could track one down on the internet, but it'd be tough to
know you're getting exactly (or close-enoughly) the spring you need
without comparing them side by side.

You could also try making one yourself. Take a suitably sized spring
and heat it up (anneal it) so you can work it. Form it into the shape
you need, heat it back up and quench it to temper it. It's a
*******ized technique, but it should work and it's easier than starting
from scratch. Here's the correct way:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html
and a Google search:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...o+make+springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AHR regulars making money for web sites and not getting paid forit?

On 11/3/2010 2:43 PM, architecturalrealms wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.(snip)

This issue has come up before- I Googled myself (hairy palms be damned),
and of the several thousand hits to my name, well over half were AHR
posts that had been mirrored to 'forums' on various web sites. Us
regulars and semi-regulars are in effect providing free content to these
sites, and making them look a lot more active than they really are. I'd
not be surprised if they cook their books to make each harvested AHR
message look like a page hit, to pump up their ad rates.

Anybody have any ideas how to counteract this? Maybe a standard tag line
above the sig delimiter saying 'This post was made to the actual Usenet,
not to a stinkin' web forum! If you are reading this on a web site,
don't assume I have anything to do with this company or these people'.
Or is their harvesting software smart enough to strip off stuff like that?

Too bad you can't copyright Usenet posts....
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Why not? That's contrary to everything I understand about copyright
where everything you write is automatically copyrighted for time
immortal (assuming Disney et al keep buying legislaton so their
copyrights never expire). Just because the entire basis of USENET is
replicating copies all over the place doesn't preclude the author owning
the copyright. In fact, you should have legal standing to file DMCA
take-down notices against those moocher sites.

(c) 2010 m

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 4:17*am, (Fake ID) wrote:
In article ,

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

(c) 2010 m- Hide quoted text -

When you post something to a public forum like this you do not retain
a copyright.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

Some sites leave your sig line as posted and others strip out as much or as
little as they please. The stripping part is fairly simple if you know a
little PHP language.

The homeowners flub is one of the ones that strips. Google Groups is one
that does not.

Frankly, I don't mind the republication provided my sig line is left intact
as I post it. The strippers do bother me.

To fully understand copyright and the difficulties of enforcing it read this
article: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Should any of you wish to publish a real article of 400 words or more and
not have a site, I will consider publishing it with your byline on my site.
It is always an open offer for the regulars of this group. One member of
this group has published.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:32:07 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

[...]

The cows are out of the gate. Web based sites that have ported to NNTP
servers are here to stay (Google, Sucko Company, others and the one
you mention). A couple of users here posts disclaimers about how a
poster should find out how to get to USENET in the traditional way. It
will not work in the long run...

"...counteract this?" Only thing I can think of is _not_ to reply to
postings that are from web-based sites. That requires looking a each
header and not responding. Even that won't work as they have the NNTP
servers ported and get all the threads, anyway.

'This post was made to the actual Usenet, not to a stinkin' web
forum! If you are reading this on a web site, don't assume I have
anything to do with this company or these people'.

Oren ---- malformed public duty gland wink
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Frankly, I don't mind the republication provided my sig line is left
intact
as I post it. The strippers do bother me.

"Frankly, I don't mind the republication provided my sig line is

left intact as I post it. The strippers do bother me. "

Now, me I'm the complete opposite.

Strippers don't bother me but the republicans do. ;-)

Nice comeback.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 8:19*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Publish a real article...? Do we get paid real money?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

aemeijers wrote:
On 11/3/2010 2:43 PM, architecturalrealms wrote:

and of the several thousand hits to my name, well over half were AHR
posts that had been mirrored to 'forums' on various web sites. ...

Anybody have any ideas how to counteract this? ...

Simple. If you don't want usenet posts scraped, don't post to usenet.
Other than that, you're relieving yourself in the proverbial direction
with regards the selfsame piece of flexible fiber...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:17*am, (Fake ID) wrote:
In article ,

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Someone else posted a link to a page about copyright myths.
Its companion page offers a different take:

"Anything you write and post to USENET is almost certainly a creative,
copyrightable work."
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html

Not a legal opinion, of course, but far more consistent with my
understanding of copyright.

Copyright 2010 m
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 3:11:21 PM UTC-8, MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

That wasn't a very good locksmith then. Try one that has more experience. These are meant to be repaired.