Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to find replacement asbestos siding

I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Going to be tough, probably -- the asbestos replacements would have to
be salvaged from somewhere and matching an old pattern closely is
often impossible.

Would probably help to post a picture somewhere of what you've got.
Depending on where you are, the salvage/restoration kind of folks may
be best bet for the old stuff although not sure anybody is trying (or
even allowed?) to salvage the asbestos siding...

Also depending on what you actually have, I have a supply of the
asbestos siding shingles I've salvaged from various outbuildings and
saved for repair or perhaps re-use. I could spare roughly that many
but these are only 16" wide, not 32". Don't recall the overlap/
exposure, I'd guess it's about the same...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On May 8, 12:31 pm, dpb wrote:
On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:

[...]

Shipping them is going to be your problem. I wonder what percent will
break in transit. And say they are concrete tiles, not asbestos, or
the shipper will freak out.

I agree that salvage is the best option. I think the OP should look
for falling down buildings and ask the owners. Or ask a siding
contractor to "acquire" some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Going to be tough, probably -- the asbestos replacements would have to
be salvaged from somewhere and matching an old pattern closely is
often impossible.

Would probably help to post a picture somewhere of what you've got.
Depending on where you are, the salvage/restoration kind of folks may
be best bet for the old stuff although not sure anybody is trying (or
even allowed?) to salvage the asbestos siding...

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless lawn
maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped, like you
see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

I live in central N.J.

Thanks,

Ray

Also depending on what you actually have, I have a supply of the
asbestos siding shingles I've salvaged from various outbuildings and
saved for repair or perhaps re-use. I could spare roughly that many
but these are only 16" wide, not 32". Don't recall the overlap/
exposure, I'd guess it's about the same...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ray K wrote:
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Ray

I'm not sure of the available sizes off hand, but Home Depot sells a
product that can be painted to match the old asbestos siding.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in news:3u20i.2185$V01.191
@newsfe12.lga:

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless lawn
maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped, like you
see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

I recommend that you run a piece of 1x4 along the bottom. That's my
standard solution for clients who don't like the cost of replacing siding.
If the wood is properly primed, caulked, and painted, it will last for
years, though not as long as cementitious shingles. When if fails, it's
easy to replace. Use cedar with the smooth side out for longer life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:32:50 -0400, Ray K
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:
[...]

Any reason not to just patch the corners with bondo, then?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

dpb wrote:
On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:
[...]

Bondo is about the worst thing to patch anything exposed to weather -
it draws moisture like you wouldn't believe. I don't even like using
it on a car, if I can avoid it.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Ray K wrote in news:3u20i.2185$V01.191
@newsfe12.lga:

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless lawn
maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped, like you
see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

I recommend that you run a piece of 1x4 along the bottom. That's my
standard solution for clients who don't like the cost of replacing siding.
If the wood is properly primed, caulked, and painted, it will last for
years, though not as long as cementitious shingles. When if fails, it's
easy to replace. Use cedar with the smooth side out for longer life.

Steve,

Sounds like a great idea, especially since the damaged ones are the
inconspicuous ones along the sides and back of the house and do not face
the street or entry. Do you bevel the top, to improve water runoff, or
just rely on the bead of caulk? I'd have to predrill the asbestos
shingles every so often, right?

Could a J-channel that's normally used at the bottom of a vinyl siding
job serve the same purpose? One problem might be color if I tried
painting vinyl, but factory white would be acceptable. Yes, I know of
vinyl's shortcomings: brittleness over time, fading, etc.

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray K" wrote in message
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying thickness).
If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they would be okay if
the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Ray

Try to look up the May 2007 issue of Journal of Light Construction magazine.
Page 38 shows how to do this using HardiePanel cut to
closely match the asbestos siding.

Bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce Boyd wrote:
"Ray K" wrote in message
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying thickness).
If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they would be okay if
the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Ray

Try to look up the May 2007 issue of Journal of Light Construction magazine.
Page 38 shows how to do this using HardiePanel cut to
closely match the asbestos siding.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the lead to a clever idea. Here's the article:

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...8c992efc14&p=1

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in
:

Steve wrote:
[...]

I've never seen it beveled, but it wouldn't hurt.

As a second thought, use HardiTrim and it will never rot.

I suspect that making the J-channel look right would be difficult. It
might be obviously something just stapled on.

Yes, I'd pre-drill the asbestos shingles -- no sense breaking them more.

As an alternative, you can put them on with construction adhesive. You
might HAVE to do it that way if there's no wood behind the shingle where
you need the fastener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:

Steve wrote:
[...]

My handyman assistant is coming over in a couple of hours. I'll discuss
your great ideas with him. Many thanks.

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plase can you help me, i really need everybody's assistance.
Could you pleae click here to voting my baby and me. http://98.TO/qbabys/
Your big help would be appreciated !! Sorry for use here to promot us.
^^

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:06:19 -0400, Ray K
wrote:

I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Every reference I see claims that GAF makes them, but their
website doesn't mention it. You could email them and ask.
(maybe they sold that division, or something.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Every reference I see claims that GAF makes them, but their
website doesn't mention it. You could email them and ask.
(maybe they sold that division, or something.)

I have an old home that has very similar issues...

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

These aren't exact matches but I am planning on using them.

You can by them at http://www.abccatalog.com/store/view...uct=7359070501

Good luck...

PG

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote on 08 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Ray K wrote in news:3u20i.2185$V01.191
@newsfe12.lga:

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless
lawn maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped,
like you see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

I recommend that you run a piece of 1x4 along the bottom. That's my
standard solution for clients who don't like the cost of replacing
siding. If the wood is properly primed, caulked, and painted, it will
last for years, though not as long as cementitious shingles. When if
fails, it's easy to replace. Use cedar with the smooth side out for
longer life.

Here I go following up to my own post.

I mentioned this to my dad over the weekend. He has a house with asbestos
siding.

His solution: Remove the chipped shingle, turn it over, drill new holes,
and nail it back on. The chipped edge will be hidden by the course above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Thanks,

Every reference I see claims that GAF makes them, but their
website doesn't mention it. You could email them and ask.
(maybe they sold that division, or something.)

I have an old home that has very similar issues...

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

These aren't exact matches but I am planning on using them.

You can by them at http://www.abccatalog.com/store/view...uct=7359070501

Good luck...

PG

Yep, go to the above GAF website, click on "product info" on the left
menu and you will get a pciture of a house. then click on
"fiber-cement siding" on the side of the house.

They also have a distrubuter locator on their website.

The standard asbesto siding shingles were 12 x 24" of either straight,
wavy or thatch edge. I think they still make all edges. They also have
other dimensions.

I have two houses that still have that siding. My only problem is has
been finding a distributer that will order the thatch edge for me.
They have the other styles in stock.

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 11:05 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

How to get it out w/o breaking it entirely is the trick??? Plus, how
to renail it unless do so below the line of the course above?

I'd surely like to know the way in which he accomplished this. I have
several buildings of the type and salvaged a large number from the old
barn when we restored it (no longer running the corrals directly
against that side of the barn so reverted to the original wood siding
the shingles were put on to protect) and would love to use some of
them to repair the existing but hadn't figured out a practical way to
do it w/o essentially starting over.

Of course, the "turn them upside down" trick doesn't work for the wavy
bottom pattern which these are, but I have plenty of new ones to use
for the repairs...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 May 2007 06:41:27 -0700, dpb wrote:

On May 15, 11:05 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

The tools for putting slate on a roof should work just as well
in this application.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 11:05 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

I've never had the fortune to work on a slate roof. I have a pretty
good idea how it is done on new work, but no real clue how one would
manage to repair/replace an existing one??? (Which, I gather would at
least be somewhat similar in that it is an overlapping, hidden
fastener, brittle material which is why the comparison).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 11:05 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

The general technique is that you slide a skinny thing
under the slate to cut the nails holding it in,
and while the slate is out, you insert a hook
between (Or, if necessary, through) the slates that
will be under the new one the hook grabs the lower edge
of the new peice, and the slates/shingles around
it keep it from shifting sideways.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 11:05 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

OK, step one I can get, thanks... Now --

What magic makes the hook the right length for the bottom of the new
tile to be in line w/ the proper course yet allow the new tile to be
under the course above? (Inquiring minds want to know....)

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Doug, Hobo wrote:
I sliced up vinyl siding exterior corners to create just a flat 90 degree
piece of vinyl about 4" in each direction, and used under window vinyl trim on
each side of it. It looks pretty good.. Much better than the aluminum trim the
previous jack-offs had on the corners.

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/mq