Frigidaire Side-by-side freezer/refrigerator not cooling

Old November 2nd 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Side-by-side freezer/refrigerator not cooling

Frigidaire
Serial #: LA22421886
Model #: FRS26H5AS
Purchased: July 2002

Last night we noticed that the ice was melting in the freezer, and the
freezer wasn't to temp. At the time it seemed as if this was only the
freezer. It now seems that the ambient temp in the refrigerator is also
below normal (suspect that the coolness still there is from recently
working - problem basically just started).

I have vacuumed the entire underside, including the condenser coils
(which weren't that bad), checked power, light switch operation, doors
being open, water to ice-maker not frozen, etc. None of these common
things seem to be the problem.

I hear the compressor come on, buzz for about 5 seconds, then shut off.
This happens every few minutes or so. So, it seems to me that this may
be the problem.

I unplugged the whole unit (refrigerator) from the wall, and let sit
for an hour. When I plugged back in, the compressor seemed to come to
life, but then quickly "clicked" and stopped buzzing.

The compressor seems to be the culprit. Is this reasonable to conclude?
It costs about $130.00. Since the unit is not quite 5 years old, it is
covered under warranty (or so says the manual).

How much should I expect the replacement labor to cost? Is this a job
for a do-it-yourselfer (considering the need to recharge the freon,
etc.)? I am a full-time volunteer, and cannot afford unnecessary costs.
Of course, if I need to, I need to...

What advice would you give, please? (smart-alecs need not reply).
wink

Thanks,

ZG

Old November 2nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Is this a job
for a do-it-yourselfer (considering the need to recharge the freon,
etc.)?

I'm pretty handy, but I would pay someone to change & recharge a
refrigerator compressor. The lines must be silver soldered in, they
seldom have valves installed, so that must be done as well. To do that
properly, you need a torch set, a vacuum pump, a set of gauges, freon
(which is getting a little hard to come by) and to do it legally, a
license.

Old November 2nd 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

RioRanchoMan wrote:
[...]

The refrigerator gets it's "cold" from the freezer.

The problem could be a start relay not working.

There are sites of the web that discuss that problem:

http://www.mrappliance.com/bastrop/e...igerators.aspx

Old November 6th 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Many fridge have a five year warranty on the sealed system. And the
compressor is definitely part of the sealed system. Might be free
repair, totally at their expense.

Sometimes a three in one hard start kit will get some extra time out
of the compressor. But I'd do that only after calling the factory
warranty guys. Cause non factory parts can void the warranty.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...